Megabyte Value

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Gargoyle87

Megabyte Value

Post by Gargoyle87 »

My Internet ISP counts the download/upload usage as following:
1 Kilobyte = 1000 bytes
1 Megabyte = 1000 Kilobytes

Is there any simple method to let "Gargoyle" counts the Internet usage in a similar way?

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Megabyte Value

Post by Eric »

There's (currently) no simple way to do this.

The assumption that 1024 bytes = 1kb is fairly standard... except in any context where reporting a power of 10 (1000bytes =1kb) will save a company money and let them get away with labeling a product as having more storage /bandwidth capacity than it really does. ISPs and hard drive manufacturers are the biggest offenders.

Changing this would require changes in a whole bunch of places. I would really like to keep this consistent throughout Gargoyle, but it might be possible to implement a box in the bandwidth monitor and/or quota to explicitly tell it how to format the output.

I may or may not get around to this before the 1.0 release, but I appreciate your suggestion and will likely get to it eventually.

Gargoyle87

Re: Megabyte Value

Post by Gargoyle87 »

Thanks very much Eric for your reply, and I hope that you will be able to add this option (changing the megabyte value) before the 1.0 release. At the meantime, I am using the calculator to set my quotas accurately.