Atheros DD-WRT -> Gargoyle

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

phlegmer

Atheros DD-WRT -> Gargoyle

Post by phlegmer »

Greetings,

I'm a long time DD-WRT user and now considering giving Gargoyle a whirl. For some odd reason, I'm constantly having issues keeping the 2.4ghz wireless interface from going down after a couple days of light use. I've had this happen on a WRT400n and now also on my new WNDR3700. Haven't had much assistance yet on the DD-WRT side other than reflash with other builds. Well, reflashing is a time consuming process because I have a lot of port forwarding and fixed IP's in DHCP I have to hand type every time.

So anyway, I've been looking at maybe trying this out but not 100% certain which file I should download to flash.

squashfs-factory.bin
squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

If the router has DD-WRT on it already, do I use the squashfs-sysupgrade.bin?

Thanks much in advance!

pbix
Developer

Re: Atheros DD-WRT -> Gargoyle

Post by pbix »

The sysupgrade.bin should work for you directly from DD-WRT.

As an ex DD-WRT user let me welcome you to Gargoyle/OpenWRT. Sounds like you will enjoy the back/restore features we have.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Adri

Post by Adri »

pbix wrote:The sysupgrade.bin should work for you directly from DD-WRT.

As an ex DD-WRT user let me welcome you to Gargoyle/OpenWRT. Sounds like you will enjoy the back/restore features we have.
Will using the sysupgrade.bin work for any router already running DD-WRT?
I have a linksys WRT160NL, running DD_WRT build 17201 and I don't want to brick it, since I don't have as JTAG or Serial to recover.
Does anyone have experience with a WRT160NL and updating to Gargoyle?

Thanks,

Adri.

phlegmer

Post by phlegmer »

pbix wrote:The sysupgrade.bin should work for you directly from DD-WRT.
I just tried the upgrade .bin and it said upgrade failed. I then tried the factory version with the same results. All upgrades were done via the DD-WRT upgrade section.

Thoughts?
pbix wrote:As an ex DD-WRT user let me welcome you to Gargoyle/OpenWRT. Sounds like you will enjoy the back/restore features we have.
Thanks for the making me feel welcome :) I know that DD-WRT also has a backup and restore configuration section but it's almost never recommended when upgrading....which is a real pain. :(

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

Adri wrote: Will using the sysupgrade.bin work for any router already running DD-WRT?
I have a linksys WRT160NL, running DD_WRT build 17201 and I don't want to brick it, since I don't have as JTAG or Serial to recover.
Does anyone have experience with a WRT160NL and updating to Gargoyle?

Thanks,

Adri.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt ... D=wrt160nl

Read that - work in progress

DO NOT flash Gargoyle on your router
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

phlegmer

Post by phlegmer »

Just discovered that DD-WRT does have a GUI method to restore the 400n back to the Linksys firmware

Perhaps if I did that, then flashing it with Gargoyle may take?

Thanks

Adri

Post by Adri »

I was running DD-WRT 17201 on a WRT160NL.
I downloaded the last stock firmware from the linksys site and flashed directly from the DD-WRT GUI without any errors. :)
After the reboot I could access the stock firmware and proceeded to flash the gargoyle 1.4.1 factory.bin. I tried at least 3 times and every time the update failed at 74%. :cry:
After powercycling the router, I was greeted by the gargoyle login anyway and continued with the setup as a client bridge.
The whole process seems to work, I can connect to the AP and have internet access. But after about 5 minutes I lose the internet connection.
Logging in to gargoyle using SSH, I can see I am still associated with the AP, but any ping will get no repsonse. Also the AP status screem still shows gargoyle to be connected and associated.
After rebooting gargoyle I have internet access again for about 5 minutes and then gargoyle stop routing packets again.
Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

Thanks,

Adri.

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

Adri wrote:...
After rebooting gargoyle I have internet access again for about 5 minutes and then gargoyle stop routing packets again.
Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?
As you now have Gargoyle on your router, I would try to update the firmware again, to make sure that the firmware upgrade has not been incomplete.
If it is still not working, then please try 1.4.0, 1.4.1 is not working for me with my router.
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4

phlegmer

Post by phlegmer »

phlegmer wrote:Just discovered that DD-WRT does have a GUI method to restore the 400n back to the Linksys firmware
Had a few more bumps but I finally got it.

Installed the Linksys firmware via the special dd-wrt revert firmware. Then tried to upgrade to Gargoyle, always got the following error:

"Invalid file path"

Moved the firmware around on the PC, renamed it, nothing. So I downloaded the official Linksys firmware and tried. Same thing!?

I was using FF 6 so I switched it IE. BAM! No more problems. Official Linksys firmware installed, power cycled, installed latest Gargoyle. Now I just need to get a little familiar with the interface....

Thanks!

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

Nice - glad it worked for you.

The OpenWRT wiki must be out of date as it shows that its
currently only supported by latest trunk version.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400