Wireless repeater Problem

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

tlg

Wireless repeater Problem

Post by tlg »

Hello All
Firstly let me say what a great job Eric et al have done with this router firmware, particularly around the data usage control and QoS.

I am however having a problem with wireless repeater mode.

I have Gargoyle 1.2.5 running on an Asus WL500GP and I would like to have it act as a Client Bridge with Repeater, joined to my modem/router/AP (Billion 7402VGP) which has its wireless working with WPA/PSK.

I have set up the Asus Gargoyle Basic Connection with an IP in the main AP lan range, selected Connect via Client Bridge and Repeater Enabled. I have set the SSID to be the same as the main AP, and also the password.

I can connect a laptop to the Asus Gargoyle box via wired Ethernet port and it works fine, being able to access the main AP and through to the internet.

The issue is that I can't seem to get any machine to connect successfully to the Repeater AP. I can see that the Repeater is working as the signal strength for the SSID goes up when it is switched on. Also if I change the SSID for the Repeater I can see both it and the main AP.

I have searched through the forum and found several posts which seem to indicate that other people have had similar problems, but I couldn't find any with resolution.

So my question is whether this function will actually work with that firmware version and on the Asus (Broadcom) box?
Have I missed something basic in the set up?

Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance.

tlg

Re: Wireless repeater Problem

Post by tlg »

To ask a simpler question - has anyone successfully used the Wireless Repeater function with a Broadcom based router using firmware 1.2.5?

If so, does it work with WPA encryption?

Thanks.

tin

Post by tin »

Anyone got any info on this? I've got a Nanostation2 running Gargoyle that sounds like it's doing the same thing.

The AP is set up with WPA-PSK. Gargoyle is connecting to this perfectly - I can see the web interface while connected to the AP. But the repeater seems to not be repeating. When my laptop associates with the repeater instead of the AP, it doesn't seem to get ANY data passing through.

The repeater mode was previously working 100% fine when there was no encryption on an old hotspot type system. This system recently started to fail, so it was replaced with a simpler plain access point with WPA-PSK to prevent theft.

I am only running 1.1.0 on the Nanostation, but I don't know if updating will help - I had the latest stable and testing builds on a WRT-54G last night, and they don't pass DHCP when acting as a client/bridge. I'm not sure if these are related issues...

I'd appreciate any clues or ideas to get this going again.

scalawag

Post by scalawag »

1.3.5 version is the last good version for Nanostation (at least for me).
1.3.6 and up loose configuration when disconnecting from power.
I'm using it on Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode with great success.