Client Bridge + AP?

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

lwrver

Client Bridge + AP?

Post by lwrver »

Bleeding-edge on FON2200 and Meraki has issues with Client Bridge + AP mode when used with a wireless gateway device. It configures OK and allows connection to a wireless AP of choice, and works well as a client bridge to the local computer. When connecting another computer wireless to the Gargoyle AP, it will connect OK, but disconnects and reconnects at random intervals. Signal quality is not an issue, because all devices are in close proximity. I've tried three different Gargoyle AP's of two different mfr, and they all act the same way, so I have to assume that the problem is with the firmware. If I connect the wireless PC to the same gateway AP that the Gargoyle is connected wireless to, the remote PC stays connected, so the problem is not with the remote wireless gateway. I have connected the local gateway AP to several host connections, and they all give the same failures. Could it be a problem with the DHCP lease period? The random intervals belay that possibility, unless the lease period is not constant. Anyone else using this mode?

Dan

Re: Client Bridge + AP?

Post by Dan »

I have had issues with DDWRT in a similar situation when the Main AP and Client PC are close enough for their wireless devices to interact and connect.

I think the main point of a Client router is to obtain access for a (Wireless or other) Client PC which is unable to get a clear signal from the Main AP.

If you try it in those conditions, Main AP and Wireless Client PC are not able to "see" each other, then I think it may perform better with fewer disconnects.

I abandoned what is effectively "Wireless Repeater" in favour of a 2 router solution at the Bridge end which was VERY satisfactory. Wireless Bridge to AP2 connected LAN to LAN. With AP2 on a different frequency to AP1. (Different SSids)

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with DHCP leases.

My best guess is that what's going on is that the client can't distinguish between the wireless from gateway AP, and from the Gargoyle AP and is therefore trying to switch between them causing problems. That would explain why Dan reports that sometimes placing the devices farther apart helps the problem -- it becomes clearer to the client which network to connect to.

A couple people requested adding an option to set the SSID of the repeater to something different than the original one. I'll see if I can implement on option like that at some point, which may help.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Even with different SSIDs available I found that some wifi clients mid way between and with similar signal strengths were unable to connect. Same Channel interference effect I put it down to.

Those with strong exposure to one SSID with a strong signal would work.

However, more than 2 Simultaneous Clients on the repeater and performance was poor.