Deleted from Wikipedia? WTF?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

jcartland

Deleted from Wikipedia? WTF?

Post by jcartland »

I have little time or patience for long-winded arguments, but I'm a bit heated up at the moment. Joined the forum just to post this.

I work on the internet, and have taught networking and website development at the college level. I've periodically flashed a router or two, since my first Linksys WRT54g. But it happens infrequently enough that I research it again each time.

Doing it again now, and finally found Gargoyle. Went to see what was on wikipedia, and discovered that the page had been deleted.

Looking for reasons, I spent entirely too much time reading nonsense by people who obviously know very little about the world of open source. Only argument that made any sense at all was that apparently the article had been written by the software's author.

Doesn't bother me that it was written by the developer-- everything I've seen so far seems entirely commendable. But apparently it strikes some as self-promotion.

OK, so anybody want to help me write and post another article?

Jonathan

Trailblazer

Re: Deleted from Wikipedia? WTF?

Post by Trailblazer »

Jonathan,

I've never written for Wikipedia, but I am willing to work with you and others on getting something out there. This firmware is excellent and it definitely needs to be out there for folks to find it, use it and love it!

It's made my life easier, so I'll be happy to contribute back in this way.

We will definitely want DoesItMatter as a contributor as well. I'll pm him and ask. Want to just take what Eric wrote before as a starting point?

Craig
Netgear WNDR3700V2 Gargoyle 1.10.0
TP-LINK Archer C7 v4 Gargoyle 1.12

hook

Post by hook »

From what I noticed (in an unrelated similar case), Wikipedia moderators are not really in favour of people writing entries of their own work.

If you guys feel the deletion was wrong, there's the official "Resolving Disputes" entry here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... g_disputes

It may also be good to read the "Criteria for Speedy Deletion", if prehaps the moderator has used the "Speedy Deletion":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... y_deletion

But personally, I think it would be the easiest and least complicated if Gargoyle's users (=we) write the entry ourselves each contributing a bit.

Trailblazer

Post by Trailblazer »

That sounds great, hook. Yeah, they didn't like Eric having written that article. I'll look into getting it started (or you can, either way) and then like you say, we'll each contribute some to it.

Excellent plan!
Netgear WNDR3700V2 Gargoyle 1.10.0
TP-LINK Archer C7 v4 Gargoyle 1.12

z21

Post by z21 »

The main reason the article was deleted was because Gargoyle has not been reviewed in detail in many "reliable sources" (by Wikipedia's definition of a reliable source) yet. It would be best to try to get a decent review or two of Gargoyle in high-profile sources first, so the article will be less susceptible to deletion.

hook

Post by hook »

The easiest was IMHO is to get a user to propose to write a review for a magazine like Linux Magazine, Linux User, Linux Journal etc.

...you'd be surprised how easy it is to get an article there — just ask them. (and you get paid as well) ;)