X-Wrt and Gargoyle

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

rocodesign

X-Wrt and Gargoyle

Post by rocodesign »

I installed gargoyle on my ASUS W500G-Premium which already had x-wrt ... as i've read in another post there is not likely for the 2 to be working toghether. I assumed that i will just stop using x-wrt and there might be a way to switch back if needed.
The problem is that since i installed gargoyle i cannot make my wan connection.
I installed gargoyle as described in "Installing Gargoyle As A Set Of Packages" at first i tried installing by using:

Code: Select all

root@OpenWrt:~# ipkg install gargoyle

and i had an error at haserl-dev that could not write a file already registered by haserl.
Then i installed the packages individually and i got the same error so i renamed the file and successfully installed haserl-dev afterward.
Then i installed the rest of the packages and gargoyle...
I made some changes in the wireless configuration through gargoyle interface and as soon as i saved my was (which is on pppoe) stopped working.
I noticed that gargoyle read the configuration I had before. But i thought that something may need to be configured differently so I changed a few things then changed them back to force gargoyle to configure it itself.

I still can't connect to PPPOE any ideas what i should do next?

Thanks
Romeo

Eric
Site Admin

Re: X-Wrt and Gargoyle

Post by Eric »

I'm not certain, but this may be a bug in Gargoyle and not a problem with interoperability with X-wrt. Unfortunately, I have had difficulty validating/testing the PPPOE code, as I do not have a DSL connection, and don't know anyone who does.

If you could post the /etc/config/network config file (which is now not working for you) it may help me identify the problem. If you could also provide a version of this file from when the router was working, that would be really helpful. Thanks!

rocodesign

Post by rocodesign »

this is the new etc/config/network

config 'switch' 'eth0'
	option 'vlan0' '1 2 3 4 5*'
	option 'vlan1' '0 5'

config 'interface' 'loopback'
	option 'ifname' 'lo'
	option 'proto' 'static'
	option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
	option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
	option 'type' 'bridge'
	option 'ifname' 'eth0.0'
	option 'proto' 'static'
	option 'ipaddr' '192.168.1.1'
	option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'
	option 'dns' '192.168.1.1 '

config 'interface' 'wan'
	option 'ifname' 'eth0.1'
	option 'proto' 'pppoe'
	option 'username' 'BB12********'
	option 'password' '************'
	option 'defaultroute' '1'
	option 'ppp_redial' 'persist'
	option 'keepalive' '30 '
	option 'demand' '300'

I can't provide an older file i haven't made a backup.

Romeo

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

A couple more questions: Are you running Kamikaze 7.09 or a version you compiled yourself from the openwrt trunk? If you're running a newer version from the openwrt trunk could you tell me either what svn revision it is or when you compiled it? Also, what version of X-Wrt were you running? If you don't know, can you indicate when you downloaded/installed it?

Also, I replaced your username/password with stars in the config posted above, so the whole world doesn't know your login info. ;-)

Thanks!

Eric

rocodesign

Post by rocodesign »

I am running Kamikaze 7.09 and X-Wrt r4131.

I also changed some numbers in the login information so if anyone in the world decides to try my account ... at least punish them with some wasted time. :)

I haven't got the time to look into the problem more.

Well if we can't find a solution I'll prolly flash it back to Kamikaze 7.09 cause I can't stand the wires anymore. I really need the router working... :P

I'll just use your ddns scripts ... the reason i stumbled into gargoyle in the first place. :)

I don't really know what else gargoyle has except ddns and the improved wget. It looks beter tho :)

Have a nice day.
Romeo

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Ok, thanks for the info. I understand you need your router working ASAP, and I'm sorry for causing you problems with this bug.

If you do flash your router back & get it working could you do me a huge favor and post your /etc/config/network file here? This will help me track down the problem and hopefully solve it for other users. I would really appreciate it.

In case you change your mind I will be working as fast as I can to figure out the problem given the info you've already provided. It's really helpful to me -- thanks!

Also -- since you're interested in ddns, you might be interested to know that the ddns utility in Gargoyle doesn't use ddns-scripts/wget, but another utility, ddns-gargoyle, written in C with the same functionality but which doesn't require wget at all (it links directly to matrixssl, saving several hundred kilobytes of disk space, running much faster, and with the added ability to check whether the update was successful). You should be able to install just ddns-gargoyle (and the matrixssl-nothread, and libericstools packages it depends on) and get it to work without installing all of Gargoyle. Of course the older ddns-scripts will still work too. Your call.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Alright, I think I've solved the problem, though I can't be certain (again, because I don't have a DSL connection to test the fix on). I've updated the packages in the repository to SVN r71 which has the fixes, so if you install using packages as you did before PPPoE should (theoretically) work.

I've also built firmware images with the new code. The new broadcom .trx file can be found here and the two files necessary for atheros routers can be found here and here.

If you (or anyone else) could confirm whether this fix works, I would be very grateful.

rocodesign

Post by rocodesign »

ahh ... well I will test but I can't find the time these days. Busy with other projects related to my line of work (AS3/Flex Programming). I flashed to openwrt 2.4 broadcom. And i will prolly try again with gargoyle one of these days. For now i only configured the pppoe wireless and lan and it works fine. I'm having a problem a had before also tho with the encryption. But well I'm going offtopic. I will show you my network configuration file. Hope you still need it.

#### VLAN configuration 
config switch eth0
	option vlan0	"1 2 3 4 5*"
	option vlan1	"0 5"

#### Loopback configuration
config interface loopback
	option ifname	"lo"
	option proto	static
	option ipaddr	127.0.0.1
	option netmask	255.0.0.0

#### LAN configuration