Gargoyle's BWmon in native OpenWrt?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

ng3700v2

Gargoyle's BWmon in native OpenWrt?

Post by ng3700v2 »

I've been using Gargoyle for over a decade now. It still has the best bandwidth monitoring of any router I've used -- including Ubiquiti USG & ER-X, ASUS RT86, pfSense, OPNsense, etc. However, I've come to the point where I need more advanced networking controls that aren't available in the Gargoyle UI; to name a few:
1. Independent MAC filtering on multiple WiFi networks
2. Port forwarding from specific source IP/subnet

My plan is to switch to OpenWrt + LuCI as the more advanced networking options are available. I've experimented with several of the bandwidth monitoring tools available to LuCI, and so far, they all pale in comparison to Gargoyle's offering. That said, how "hard" would it be to create the fantastic bandwidth monitoring of Gargoyle as a plugin/package to native OpenWrt?

Thank you.

Lantis

Re: Gargoyle's BWmon in native OpenWrt?

Post by Lantis »

The bandwidth monitoring is powered by a custom kernel module which would need to be patched into the OpenWrt build environment. OpenWrt (many, many years ago) were not interested in accepting such a thing.
Problem 2, it only works with iptables. OpenWrt are migrated to nftables.

Once you have the kmod and associated iptables plugin, you need to build a front end to graph the data. Anything modern could be chosen that isn’t the difficult bit.

The bw_get utility is needed to get the data out as well.

It’s not impossible it’s just not super straight forward either.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ng3700v2

Re: Gargoyle's BWmon in native OpenWrt?

Post by ng3700v2 »

Gotcha. I appreciate the informational response. I agree that those are some tall hurdles to clear for getting this functionality into OpenWrt thus being highly unlikely. Darn.

Unfortunately, the need for advanced networking configuration has superseded the need for bandwidth monitoring in my case.

Thanks again!