QoS for a single website only?

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

JakoJanez

QoS for a single website only?

Post by JakoJanez »

I searched the forum, but I cant find information whether it's possible to enable QoS for a single website only?

Lantis

Re: QoS for a single website only?

Post by Lantis »

That’s not really how QoS works, and enabling it for a website involves knowing the IP address of it which may be dynamic or part of a content distribution network making it not possible or impractical.

Maybe taking a step back, why do you want to do this? What are your goals?
There might be a better way to achieve things.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

JakoJanez

Post by JakoJanez »

Just want to limit streaming sites (youtube/netflix) to throttle during the day when there is a lot of traffic.
So I would need like a custom dns on the LAN, something like piHole and then QoS the ip of the Raspberry?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

With Gargoyle QoS that won’t be simple.
There are lists available of every YouTube IP and they are in the tens of thousands, and they change frequently.
You would need to customise Gargoyle to support ipsets and then script an automatic update of those ipsets.

Thinking about this a different way, maybe you are better off making rules for ports 80/443 where the amount of data for a connection exceeds 2MB? That way normal traffic should be ok but streamed content won’t.
This will apply to more than just YouTube though so testing is required for the best outcome.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

JakoJanez

Post by JakoJanez »

Damn, that's a good idea. Will have to look into this further.
Thanks! :)