Version 1.14.0: Based on OpenWrt 22.03

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

pythonic

Re: Version 1.14.0: Based on OpenWrt 22.03

Post by pythonic »

8MB flash routers may be somewhat better positioned with upcoming OpenWrt 23.05 based builds which will transition to use MbedTLS instead of OpenSSL for basic security requirements - Lantis has posted the first beta.

dzwonnik

Post by dzwonnik »

I've recently updated from 1.12.0 on TP-Link Archer C7 v2.
I use this router as a repeater (range extender) with setup:

Code: Select all

[primary router: dual band 2,4+5GHz]<--5GHz bridge-->[gargoyle]<--->[2,4+5GHz clients].
5 GHz bridge repeater is configured using GUI and 2,4 GHz network is manually added to end of /etc/config/wireless file.

I've first tried to preserve settings, but noticed mentioned bellow issue and thought another reflash without preserving will help (but no such luck).

My observations so far:
- is is impossible to permanently disable bwmon: "/etc/init.d/bwmon_gargoyle stop+disable" only works until next reboot. Strangely I don't see bwmon symlink in /etc/rc.d but it somehow still start
- DHCP is still enabled (checked with "/etc/init.d/odhcpd status") is still running after chosing Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode
- reboot takes long time (~3 minutes)
- it is sadly still not possible to have dual band bridge setup with GUI alone (hence mentioned manually edited /etc/config/wireless)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

bwmon is probably being restarted by the gargoyle-firewall.hotplug script. Most effective modification would be to add an “exit” to the start() function in bwmon.init.

Did you disable DHCP (both ipv4 and ipv6)? In that case it does not matter if the service is running, it is not actively doing anything. Lots of services do this. Are you actually experiencing a real problem?

How are you measuring reboot? Time to device reachable? Internet reachable? Wired or wireless? It is an older device it won’t be fast and repeater mode can be particularly slow.
Modern devices like GLiNet MT6000 reboot in about 30 seconds. An x86 box reboots in about 15 seconds.

The GUI advertises repeater mode. Broadcasting a different band isn’t really the traditional definition of “repeating”. While it is entirely possible (obviously, you’ve done it) it isn’t a current feature and would require someone to make the required code changes and submit them.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

dzwonnik

Post by dzwonnik »

Thank you for quick response (and obviously for overall great work on gargoyle)

- "exit" solution did the trick, bwmon is no longer running after reboot :)

- I didn't see any GUI options for DHCP - I think that "Wireless Bridge/Repeater" disables DHCP settings in GUI (?); I sometimes see that it takes some client a little longer to acquire IP address, but no issues other than that

- I've measured reboot between confirming reboot and first successful ping response received by client attached to gargoyle; same measurement for client attached (with cable) directly to primary router gave ~100 seconds for reboot; To be clear: I don't complain about those times, its just my subjective feeling/observation that it seems to take longer than in 1.12

- you are right about "repeating" definition, but I think dual band mode fits "wireless bridge" definition :D

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

That’s fair, but I still stand by someone needing to contribute the feature :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

marcelogon

Post by marcelogon »

Is there a way to install Pi-hole on Gargoyle, or include it in the next version?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Not without using something like Docker, which makes it inappropriate for most users and certainly not something to be included in a default install.
PiHole should be run as a separate network device and Gargoyle can then use it as a DNS server.