OpenWRT 23.05 - New Gargoyle?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

jki

Re: OpenWRT 23.05 - New Gargoyle?

Post by jki »

I may at some later point (busy week). If you have any hint where to look at, let me know. I do know that the early enabling I did last spring for 2023.0x was fine in this regard.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Start by examining the output of /usr/lib/gargoyle/cache_basic_vars.sh which builds /tmp/cached_basic_vars
Then make sure that in the browser console there are no errors shown when going to Connection->Basic.
If that all checks out fine it points more to a missing driver or similar.

Creating a valid wireless config, issuing “wifi” and then looking at the logs might be telling.
https://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoylebuilds for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I’m looking at mvebu today.
I think it is just wpad missing. Should know by tonight.
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

mvebu works now.
Someone at OpenWrt has "fixed" WPA3 on these devices so it now "works".
It looks like all it does is not crash, and offload the cryptographic operations to the CPU. Surprisingly this router can't seem to handle that and it runs terribly slow.
Stick with WPA2.

Statik

Post by Statik »

pythonic wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:11 am
Statik wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:28 am
one that isn't presently supported by Gargoyle but it is supported by 23.05
What is it??
BPi-R3

paradoxman

Post by paradoxman »

paradoxman wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:32 pm
yes i just saw that, but it only installs the necessary files on the router, you still have to go through all those command lines in telnet to be able to bring up the connection...
I was wondering if it could be implemented in the UI graphical interface, it would be nice if in the "Connections" menu we could find this USB tethering option beside the "Gateway" & "Wireless Bridge" option, so that the router automatically reconfigures itself once you plug in your phone to the usb port and select this "USB Tethering" connection

I use Android so maybe those Iphone files from that plugin are useless for me and still have to download other android specific files, that is no problem for downloading as i did that before, but once those needed files are already in the router, what bothers me is all that hassle you have to go through to bring up that connection through telnet and do that again everytime you recycle through other type of connections (AP, bridge...)
just wanted to bring up a little update to the USB Tethering part of this firmware...i struggled a lot fixing the slow speed that i got using the phone connected to the router, it used to have 1/10 of the speed compared to the situation when the phone was connected directly to a win11 computer also via usb tethering protocol...was searching for the possible solution, i encountered a lot of posts from other forums people having the same problem until i found a reddit post where someone enumerated all the packages that must be installed to properly handle USB 2.0 speeds and it looked like the only package that i was missing was "usb-utils". after this upgrade the usb tethering via the router gave me the same 10 MB/S (not mb/s) like when the phone was directly connected to the computer.
I can watch now buttery smooth 2160p HDR videos on YT without any problem directly on my PC and TV at the same time having the phone as the only internet source!
so i thought that having this package integrated already into the newest gargoyle firmwares would save a lot of time for newbies and users who need this function to work at full potential

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Are you able to link to this reddit thread please?
I can’t find any evidence of why having that package installed would help, but I would like to dig further.
Obviously it has improved your experience, and I’d like to hear more evidence from others to confirm.
At 54KB it’s not the end of the world including it, but I’d rather leave it out if the benefits are questionable.

Also please remind me what router you are using.

paradoxman

Post by paradoxman »

sorry for the late response, i just left the missing information here, i wasn't thinking that it needs extra explanations...
so, i didn't save the link from that thread into my favourites, but i saved it as a text file for further comparison of the files in case i upgrade to a new gargoyle firmware, here it is :

"Have you installed USB2 support on your router? Open up a terminal and run

opkg list-installed | grep usb

It should look something like this:

root@TL-WR902AC:~# opkg list-installed | grepusb

kmod-usb-core - 5.10.176-1

kmod-usb-ehci - 5.10.176-1

kmod-usb-ledtrig-usbport - 5.10.176-1

kmod-usb-ohci - 5.10.176-1

kmod-usb-storage - 5.10.176-1

kmod-usb2 - 5.10.176-1

libusb-1.0-0 - 1.0.24-5

usbutils - 014-1

If not follow the USB driver installation guide and make sure you install the USB2 drivers. Also follow the guides on this page to confirm link speeds once you have installed your USB drivers.

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/sto ... installing

The USB tethering guide makes no mention of installing the packages that actually improve USB2 and even USB3 performance on OpenWRT. If it does not then you need to install the packages that apply to you.

My guess is that you are only using the stock USB driver. You need at least ehci support to properly enable USB2.

To install USB Drivers Manually

Start with refreshing the list of available packages

opkg update

Obtain a list of already installed USB packages:

opkg list-installed *usb*

Result:

kmod-usb-core - 4.9.58-1
kmod-usb-storage - 4.9.58-1
kmod-usb3 - 4.9.58-1

Install the USB core package (all USB versions), if the previous list-output does not list it:

opkg install kmod-usb-core
insmod usbcore

Install the USB storage package (all USB versions), if the previous list-output does not list it:

opkg install kmod-usb-storage

To install USB 1.1 drivers, first try the UHCI driver:

opkg install kmod-usb-uhci
insmod uhci_hcd

If this fails with an error “No such device”, try installing the alternative OHCI driver for USB 1.1:

opkg install kmod-usb-ohci
insmod ohci

Someone would have to verify this insmod uhci command as inconsistent with the installed package - ohci package vs. uhci insmod command

(to remove non-working drivers, use opkg remove. Note: If both UCHI and OHCI drivers fail, we do not have USB 1.1.)

To install USB 2.0 drivers:

opkg install kmod-usb2
insmod ehci-hcd

To install USB 3.0 drivers:

opkg install kmod-usb3
insmod xhci-hcd

To install support for UASP aka USB Attached SCSI (supported by many USB drives and drive enclosures, especially if USB 3.0. It enhances performance if it's supported by both the drive and the host controller in your device):

opkg install kmod-usb-storage-uas "

btw, my router is an archer C7

EthBlazeX

Post by EthBlazeX »

Have you tested it with USB 3.0 devices, and does it handle the same speeds consistently?