gargoyle 1.13 with WRT3200ACM

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

whataboutnow

gargoyle 1.13 with WRT3200ACM

Post by whataboutnow »

hello -

been a while since I've been here as my setup has just worked, problem free, since I set it up :)

I'm back cos I need a bit of advice/help please.

I've just had FTTP installed today and (naively) thought I could just connect my existing router (wrt3200acm) to the ONT, and reconfigure my logins.

spent most of my afternoon trying to sort it - I'm currently online using the Zen supplied router (FRITZbox 7530ax) in a sort-of bridge mode to my gargoyle wrt3200acm.

I'd like to do away with the fritzbox (it's poor and something else to plug in 😞) and just use my existing setup.

thing is, I need to be able to specify a VLAN ID to proceed but there's nowhere in the GUI to be able to do that - is there any way to do it with CLI?

here's some info I've got from my research and I'm working along the lines of. this is from an openwrt forum but gargoyle is forked from that, right?

"Okay. The installation was successful. I added the VLAN tag in the luCI GUI by using -> network -> interfaces -> devices and then adding a VLAN interface (802.1q) that was tagged to the WAN interface (eth1 in my case). Then I used -> network -> interfaces to change the WAN protocol to that of PPPoE and entered my credentials given by Zen ISP and under the device section changed the option from eth1 to eth1.911 (which is the WAN port with the valid VLAN ID). I had to edit the WAN6 interface (setup as a
DHCPv6 server) and choose the eth1.911 vlan tag again under the devices tab again. Hope this helps someone else in the future who is struggling to setup their device for the ISP.

so I'm just hoping to keep Gargoyle and my wrt3200acm - _any_ advice/pointers/guidance would be _very_ much appreciated.

Thank you 👍

edit:

right, so, to sum up 😂

for city fibre the customer's router will need to talk PPPoE on VLAN 911. can I do that somehow via cli? I'd really like to keep Gargoyle for the stability.

Thanks again

pythonic

Re: gargoyle 1.13 with WRT3200ACM

Post by pythonic »

You might like to review the Fibre connections VLAN thread, though at this stage I don't think any final conclusions have been reached.

According to this article (which is contemporaneous with OpenWrt 19.07 as used by Gargoyle 1.13), my understanding would be that you should set up the PPPoE connection using Gargoyle's standard interface, then modify the /etc/config/network file to add the ".911" suffix to the physical interface used for the WAN connection then reboot. However your device already uses a special VLAN tag (2) for the internal connection to the switch port so I don't know how that actually translates to what you need to put in /etc/config/network. If you could temporarily change over to OpenWrt 19.07.10 (*) and get the connection working, then take a copy of /etc/config/network before converting back to Gargoyle, you might have a chance of changing Gargoyle's WAN configuration to match what works in OpenWrt.

NOTE: be aware than any update to any network configuration through Gargoyle's UI after getting this working, even those that might appear unrelated to the WAN interface, could lead to the changes you've made being lost and your WAN will stop working - so make sure to backup the working version of /etc/config/network and keep a copy somewhere you can easily restore it from.

(*) Beginning with OpenWrt 21.02.0 your device was changed from swconfig to DSA for network switch management, as announced here, and the syntax in /etc/config/network changed dramatically and won't work for your Gargoyle version. OpenWrt 19.07.10 is the last version to use swconfig on your device.

whataboutnow

Post by whataboutnow »

thank you very much for that; I'll give it a go when I have a couple of hours later. I'll let you know how I get on 👍

whataboutnow

Post by whataboutnow »

tried it, gave up
4 hours back and forwards 🙄
in a gyst - you were right about that already-tagged with vlan 2.

i love gargoyle; I don't show up here often because it just... works but I know a time-sink when I see one. I've shut down everything possible (wifi/lights/various services etc) on the Zen box and I'm using it as a wired bridge to gargoyle. it's working just as before so I'm happy enough

eagerly awaiting 1.15 though if its still happening

Thanks for the help 👍

I have been wanting to learn vlans and this has landed me right in it :)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

1.15 is in the works.
I'll do my best to add basic vlan support to 1.15.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

whataboutnow

Post by whataboutnow »

I'll definitely keep my eyes open for that, thank you 😊

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

re:vlan

My understanding of VLAN at the time of my first post was very limited. My knowledge is much better now.

My ISP-supplied router (WAN = VLAN10) also came with a phone line.

The problem was I needed VLAN 10 "in" (WAN) and VLAN 10 "out" (LAN) to my ISP-supplied router just for the phone only

Based on my OpenWrt tests I could only get a VLAN 10 bridge working which would not work. If no phone was required I would have continued with my experiments on Gargoyle.

In the end, I figured out that I could use my network smart switch to strip out the VLAN 10 tag (WAN). Used a second smart switch to add back the VLAN 10 tag for the phone router (LAN)