WiFi extender cannot connect to Gargoyle router

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

fifonik

WiFi extender cannot connect to Gargoyle router

Post by fifonik »

I have WRT1200 with Gargoyle with MAC policy enabled -- so only whitelisted devices can connect and usually I do not have issues with finding client device MAC.

I need to connect WiFi extender (Tenda A23).
Obviously, it cannot connect to router's WiFi as I need to whitelist extender's MAC first.

I checked System / System logs on Gargoyle and do not see information about refused client MAC adderss.

I tried to use WiFi scanner on my Android and found MAC addresses of the extender APs (2 & 5GHz).
Whitelisted them on Gargoyle's but no luck.

Can anyone explain me what is going on?

Is it some kind of incompatibility between the extender and Gargoyle? The extender works, it does not have any issues "extending" my Android hotspot.

Can the extender have different MACs when connecting as a client ro Gargoyle? If this is the case, can I SSH to Gargoyle and find out the dropped client MACs somehow?

Anything else?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. The last resort -- I can try to disable MAC policy on Gargoyle. But when I disable it -- all MAC-entries will be lost and I will need to reconfigure them -- that is pain.

fifonik

Re: WiFi extender cannot connect to Gargoyle router

Post by fifonik »

Solved.

As I thought, MAC addresses for AP and for client when the extender connecting to upstream device were different.

I mentioned that I was able to use scanner on Android phone to find AP MAC addresses.
In my case they were ended with:
:0E:F4 - 2.4 GHz
:0F:04 - 5 GHz

Then I got old 2.4GHz WiFi router from shelf, reset it, connected to my PC and set up with basic WiFi info: name, login, password.
After that I re-configured the extender so it extends the old WiFi router's wireless network.
Checked the router UI and found one MAC address that the extender using when connecting to upstream device as a client.
The MAC address ended with: :0E:FC

I looked at these numbers and thought that 5 GHz MAC address could be ended with :0F:0C.

Whitelisted both and -- voila. I guessed right.

Hope this help someone.