Version 1.14.0: Based on OpenWrt 22.03

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: Version 1.14.0: Based on OpenWrt 22.03

Post by Lantis »

ArcticCat wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:53 am
I have an archer C7 v5 (EU) version i've been running different versions of Gargoyle for years without issues

now when I try to upgrade to the 1.14 i am getting a warning that it firmware is not compatible

can I safely ignore this warning and "force upgrade" ?

Code: Select all

Firmware has been detected as incompatible with this device
No, that could be a very bad move.
What version are you currently on?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

heilbronn wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:38 am
Lantis wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:55 pm
A boot log would be interesting. This may require a serial connection to view.

If you can get it, please open another thread and we will dig into it.
1. I ordered this UART USB-to-TTL adapter and will see what I can do with the TL-WR710N. Do you have a recommendation about which instruction to follow?
2. Which part of the forum shall I follow up to:
Gargoyle Development?
Post to installation issues. Doesn’t really matter I’ll see it anywhere.
Follow this: https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr710n#serial
Be very careful to set 3.3V and not 5
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

RadioOperator wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:26 am
I've downloaded the latest source code, and one-take pass the compiling. Then, I got the version no. is 1.15.x.

There is no bin Fw for Xiaomi-4C router, I try to install Xiaomi-4A-100m fw into my 4C, everything seems ok.

Many thanks to you all, not easy.
If you are reporting success on the Xiaomi 4C, I’d be happy to add it to the code so it builds by default

ArcticCat

Post by ArcticCat »

Lantis wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:18 pm
ArcticCat wrote:
I have an archer C7 v5 (EU) version i've been running different versions of Gargoyle for years without issues

now when I try to upgrade to the 1.14 i am getting a warning that it firmware is not compatible

I was on 1.12 but didn't wait, I flashed 1.14 & bricked the router - went the tftp route and flashed 1.14 by tftp everything seems to be working now but booting is v. slow

any idea why it cld be giving me

& or what is the best course of action?
thanks

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

ArcticCat wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:37 pm
Lantis wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:18 pm
ArcticCat wrote:

I was on 1.12 but didn't wait, I flashed 1.14 & bricked the router - went the tftp route and flashed 1.14 by tftp everything seems to be working now but booting is v. slow

any idea why it cld be giving me

& or what is the best course of action?
thanks
Now that you're up and running that's fine. You just took the long and scary way to get there.

Without going into huge amounts of detail, the ar71xx target (which existed when 1.12 was around) has been replaced by ath79 (more here). As this is a large architecture change and some fundamentals have shifted, some devices are intentionally marked as incompatible. Some of them require using the factory image. Some require sysupgrade without preserving settings. Some require TFTP. It is very device dependent.
There is also a mechanism for the upgrade to tell you what is wrong and advise you how to move forward. Unfortunately this was introduced in a very late version of 1.13.x, so by staying on 1.12 you were not given any helpful advice by the GUI.

In the future you may see a message like
"Image incompatible. Your device has been switched to DSA architecture and you must not preserve settings when sysupgrading. Please force the upgrade to continue".

All depends on what happens to a specific device upstream.

ArcticCat

Post by ArcticCat »

Lantis wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:14 am
Now that you're up and running that's fine. You just took the long and scary way to get there.

Without going into huge amounts of detail, the ar71xx target (which existed when 1.12 was around) has been replaced by ath79 (more here). As this is a large architecture change and some fundamentals have shifted, some devices are intentionally marked as incompatible. Some of them require using the factory image. Some require sysupgrade without preserving settings. Some require TFTP. It is very device dependent.
There is also a mechanism for the upgrade to tell you what is wrong and advise you how to move forward. Unfortunately this was introduced in a very late version of 1.13.x, so by staying on 1.12 you were not given any helpful advice by the GUI.

In the future you may see a message like
"Image incompatible. Your device has been switched to DSA architecture and you must not preserve settings when sysupgrading. Please force the upgrade to continue".

All depends on what happens to a specific device upstream.
Thank you for the detailed answer - that explains the other problem I faced restoring the configuration

the new version handles DHCP reservations and DNSMASQ differently i the config files

also, maybe it helps someone else, the DHCP server breaks if you add a "+" in the reservation name which was never the case before

thank you again

RadioOperator

Post by RadioOperator »

Lantis wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:23 pm
RadioOperator wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:26 am
There is no bin Fw for Xiaomi-4C router, I try to install Xiaomi-4A-100m fw into my 4C, everything seems ok.
If you are reporting success on the Xiaomi 4C, I’d be happy to add it to the code so it builds by default
Yes, please add xiaomi-4c support.
Xiaomi-4C is the same chipset mt7628 as xiaomi4A-100m, but no external 5G Radio chip, so the xiaomi4A-100m FW could work fine on my 4C, only no 5G wifi function.

Mr.nsingh2

Post by Mr.nsingh2 »

Successfully installed Gargoyle V 1.14.0 using sysupgrade.bin file on GL.iNet GL-AR300M travel router which was running factory version of OpenWRT. This is older version that has both 16Mb NOR and 128MB NAND flash. I believe the newer version of this router GL-AR300M16 only comes with 16MB NOR flash.

PS. First I tried with factory.img file and it returned an incompatible firmware error.

Thanks. This version of Gargoyle is awesome.

skaox

Post by skaox »

H1,

Netgear R6020
openwrt 22.03.5 -> gargoyle 1.14.0
sysupgrade -v -n gargoyle-1.14.0-sysupgrade.bin
nothing to report.

Tried to keep settings with a tplink tl-wr1043n-v5 - 1.13.x -> 1.14.0
sysupgrade -v gargoyle-1.14.0-sysupgrade.bin
reboot not updated same version and luckily for me no bricking
will try later without settings.

https://www.gargoyle-router.com/download.php

No ipq40xx !?

Th@nk Y0u

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

skaox wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:49 am
H1,

Netgear R6020
openwrt 22.03.5 -> gargoyle 1.14.0
sysupgrade -v -n gargoyle-1.14.0-sysupgrade.bin
nothing to report.

Tried to keep settings with a tplink tl-wr1043n-v5 - 1.13.x -> 1.14.0
sysupgrade -v gargoyle-1.14.0-sysupgrade.bin
reboot not updated same version and luckily for me no bricking
will try later without settings.

https://www.gargoyle-router.com/download.php

No ipq40xx !?

Th@nk Y0u
I had not noticed that ipq40xx was omitted from the downloads page, however the images are on the server and available for download.
I’ll ping Eric and see if that’s easy enough to fix.