Netgear R8000

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

rg66

Re: Netgear R8000

Post by rg66 »

I decided to do another build for something to do so I did a "lite" version. Only the minimum packages needed plus xeye theme, webshell and logread.

The wireless issues are still there but I figure the MR3420v5 will no longer be supported soon and I can run the R8000 the same, with wireless off and the Asus RT-AC1200 AP.

I should be able to run the latest Gargoyle builds for quite some time and it won't sit in a box and die a slow death. I just need to do some tests to make sure there aren't any other problems.

Cheers

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I have run many a device with no wifi it sounds like a plan to me
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

rg66

Post by rg66 »

After a few tests, I did all my settings and connected the R8000 to my network with wireless turned off. So far it's running without any issues, the AP is even connected at 1Gbps which is a nice surprise.

Code: Select all

b53-srab-switch 18007000.ethernet-switch lan1: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control rx/tx
I guess I need to swap the LAN cable I use for testing and check my laptop network card.

Cheers

rg66

Post by rg66 »

Update:

I've been playing with this router again and have built new firmware using the latest commit (ae547ce). Although the Gargoyle GUI says wireless G, it's actually N at 20MHz (144Mb/s). 5GHz also works on radio2, after saving it says disabled but is working and survives a reboot.

My 2.4/5GHz wifi card is old and only does 300Mb/s but it is promising for anyone using BCM43602. Unfortunately, my newer HP laptop died so cannot test 5GHz AC.

Update2:

If I manually config /etc/config/wireless the setting work. I'm connected at 300Mb/s even though the GUI still shows G @ 20MHz as the only options.

config wifi-device 'radio1'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option path '18000000.axi/bcma0:8/pci0001:00/0001:00:00.0/0001:01:00.0/0001:02:01.0/0001:03:00.0'
	option channel '1'
	option band '2g'
	option htmode 'HT40+'
	option country 'UG'
Cheers

rg66

Post by rg66 »

Hi,

Tried to build gargoyle large then basic and both fail with the same error.

Collected errors:
 * check_conflicts_for: The following packages conflict with wpad-openssl:
 * check_conflicts_for: 	wpad-basic-wolfssl * 
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package gargoyle-basic.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package wpad-openssl.
make[3]: *** [package/Makefile:70: package/install] Error 255
Another issue which actually started around June/July 2023 is that shortly after the build starts, the confg file in whatevertarget-src gets changed from

CONFIG_PACKAGE_gargoyle-i18n=y to
NFIG_PACKAGE_garg=y.

The package doesn't build and the web interface is unreadable. I've been changing the line back right away and then it builds fine.

Thanks

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

You need to ensure that your config has

# CONFIG_PACKAGE_wpad-basic-wolfssl is not set
You should also make sure that any other WolfSSL packages are similarly disabled.

I've not encountered the corruption problem you mention, but I haven't built from the current main branch for some time - the build script runs

make defconfig
to force correct Gargoyle package dependencies and after that needs to make several adjustments, one of which isn't working properly. This might be a problem with one of your system's build tools not behaving as expected - e.g. what version of Python have you got installed?

Edit: just kicked off a main branch build for ipq40xx and that hasn't suffered the corruption you report, so I'm now more strongly of the view that you have some problem with the tooling in your build environment.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

rg66 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:27 am
Hi,

Tried to build gargoyle large then basic and both fail with the same error.

Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package gargoyle-basic.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package wpad-openssl.
make[3]: *** [package/Makefile:70: package/install] Error 255
Another issue which actually started around June/July 2023 is that shortly after the build starts, the confg file in whatevertarget-src gets changed from

CONFIG_PACKAGE_gargoyle-i18n=y to
NFIG_PACKAGE_garg=y.

The package doesn't build and the web interface is unreadable. I've been changing the line back right away and then it builds fine.

Thanks
This happens because you don't have python in your environment.
Python is a prerequisite of building Gargoyle.

Otherwise you run into this line
https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargo ... ltd.sh#L22
Which is failing. That code path is untested and I haven't the time to look at it at the moment.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

rg66

Post by rg66 »

Thanks for the reply
Lantis wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:42 am
This happens because you don't have python in your environment.
Python is a prerequisite of building Gargoyle.

Otherwise you run into this line
https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargo ... ltd.sh#L22
Which is failing. That code path is untested and I haven't the time to look at it at the moment.
I have python 3.10.6 installed and have done many bare bones builds for both MR-3420v5 and R8000 without any failures other than the initial "NFIG_PACKAGE_garg=y", which I can work around.

Cheers

Edit: I installed python-is-python3 and will have another go tomorrow.

rg66

Post by rg66 »

Installing python-is-python3 seems to have sorted the i18 issue.

@pythonic
Sorry, I just saw you're reply. I'm using Mint-21.1 with python 3.10.6 and just installed python-is-python3.

I originally cloned github and installed:
build-essential asciidoc binutils bzip2 gawk gettext git libncurses5-dev libz-dev patch unzip zlib1g-dev lib32gcc-s1 (lib32gcc-s1 replaces lib32gcc1) libc6-dev-i386 subversion flex uglifyjs git-core gcc-multilib p7zip p7zip-full msmtp libssl-dev texinfo npm libelf-dev clang flex bison g++ g++-multilib python3-distutils rsync file wget
as per the github page.

I've made bcm53xx in the targets dir and copy whatever custom config I've made in targets/bcm53xx/profiles/default then run "make bcm53xx". I've had no problems so far making a bare bones build except for the gargoyle-i18n issue which now seems to be fixed. All of my builds have used libwolfssl and wpad-basic-wolfssl, the only openssl packages are libopenssl and libustream-openssl.

Thanks

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

I've been bitten by forgetting to install python-is-python3 too, though I didn't notice the config corruption - I just got failed builds because of missing gargoyle-18n package until I was reminded about it.

BTW, you can save some more flash space (especially on your MR3420v5) if you don't mix WolfSSL and OpenSSL. Just use wpad-openssl, or if you must wpad-basic-openssl, instead of wpad-basic-wolfssl (and disable libwolfssl). libwolfssl is still a sizeable dependency to carry.

Also on your MR3420v5 you might want to try the standard build of the 1.15 beta Lantis put up - the change from OpenSSL to MbedTLS along with another change I believe will have increased the available free flash space over 1.14. If you do try it, please report in the beta thread how much flash is used and free after configuration e.g. output of

df -k