Support for TP-Link TL-WR710n

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

heilbronn

Re: Support for TP-Link TL-WR710n

Post by heilbronn »

I finally managed to create a flashable *ath79* build for my TL-WR710N V2.1 and flashed it !! :)
After rebooting and trying to login into the web interface with the default password or any other password, it gives me a sort of dialog saying "*undefined*" and then hangs. :(
(SSH to root@192.168.1.1 lets me login with the default password, though.)
Do you have any idea? Thx!

PS: Unfortunately, I can't attach any screenshots - the board quota is "exceeded"...

heilbronn

Post by heilbronn »

Funny thing happened:
After logging in with SSH, I decided to change the root password using "passwd root". Only *after that* I was able to login via the Web interface with the new password, too......
Strange...

Then I started some configuration, but several scattered dialog boxes containing "undefined" instead of proper entries, too......
So I wanted to flash the arx71xx build and then see what happens there... Howver, the message appearing after clicking "Upload Firmware" contained only "undefined", too, and then hung.
It also seems that free mem is too small to flash a larger image, will try to build one as small as possible, e.g. the *default* profile and restart with that one...
Last edited by heilbronn on Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I’ve seen this before with users not having python properly available in their build root.
Very early on (first 30 seconds) some python scripts are called when compiling that do all of the internationalisation stuff. I’d check here.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

heilbronn

Post by heilbronn »

Lantis wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:11 pm
I’ve seen this before with users not having python properly available in their build root.
Very early on (first 30 seconds) some python scripts are called when compiling that do all of the internationalisation stuff. I’d check here.
These are the pythons in my $PATH:

Code: Select all

pi@CSL:/opt/gargoyle$ python<TAB>
python2    python2.7  python3    python3.9
pi@CSL:/opt/gargoyle$ python2 -V
+ python2 -V
Python 2.7.18
pi@CSL:/opt/gargoyle$
Would that python2 be ok ?

The first 120 seconds of my build look like this - I can't see any errors or somethins related to Python.... :(

pi@CSL:/opt/gargoyle$ make ath79.default
+ make ath79.default
( \
        target=`echo ath79.default  | sed 's/\..*$//'` ; \
        profile=`echo ath79.default | sed 's/^.*\.//'`  ; \
        have_profile=`echo ath79.default | grep "\."`  ; \
        if [ -z "$have_profile" ] ; then profile="" ; fi ; \
        if [ ! -d "targets/${target}" ] ; then echo "ERROR: Specified Target Does Not Exist" ; exit ; fi ; \
        if [ -n "$profile" ] && [ ! -d "targets/${target}/profiles/${profile}" ] ; then echo "ERROR: Specified Target Profile Does Not Exist" ; exit ; fi ; \
        if [ -d "Distribution" ] ; then rm -rf "Distribution" ; fi ;\
        if [ ! -d "${target}-src" ] || [ "false" = "1" -o "false" = "true" -o "false" = "TRUE" ] ; then \
                bash build.sh "$target" "1.13.X (Built 20220430-0934 git@6c7aa811)" "99" "ar71xx" "ar71xx" "true" "true" "$profile" "internationalize" "English-EN" "English-EN" "auto" "false"; \
        else \
                bash rebuild.sh "$target" "1.13.X (Built 20220430-0934 git@6c7aa811)" "99" "true" "true" "$profile" "internationalize" "English-EN" "English-EN" "auto" "false"; \
        fi ; \
)
node/npm ok!
terser ok!
Compressing/Mangling JavaScript files (6 threads)...
Done!
uglifycss ok!
Compressing CSS files (6 threads)...
Done!

Gargoyle is now rebuilding target: ath79 / default
                 (with 6 build threads)

Using shell script to set i18n language
BUILDING BANNER
make[1]: Entering directory '/opt/gargoyle/ath79-src'
make[2]: Entering directory '/opt/gargoyle/ath79-src'
make[3]: Entering directory '/opt/gargoyle/ath79-src'
make[3]: Leaving directory '/opt/gargoyle/ath79-src'
Collecting package info: package/plugin-gargoyle-cron^Z
However, I have strange error messages (maybe artefacts from failed installation) further down - I will retry a clean installation:

WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libgnutls', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libopenldap', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libidn2', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libssh2', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/boot/kexec-tools/Makefile' has a dependency on 'liblzma', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/services/lldpd/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libnetsnmp', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/nftables/Makefile' has a dependency on 'jansson', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/sqlite3/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libedit', which does not exist
time: target/linux/prereq#0.37#0.60#3.40
make[3]: Leaving directory '/opt/gargoyle/ath79-src'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/opt/gargoyle/ath79-src'
WARNING: can't parse line: NFIG_PACKAGE_garg=y
WARNING: your configuration is out of sync. Please run make menuconfig, oldconfig or defconfig!
make[2]: Entering directory '/opt/gargoyle/ath79-src'

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Did you have a look at these build instructions?

I know they are a little old now and you building on a different architecture.

I know in the past it has been recommend to do a default build before moving to custom builds

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11883

heilbronn

Post by heilbronn »

Did you have a look at these build instructions?
I know they are a little old now and you building on a different architecture.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11883
I just looked at them, they seem to be analogous/identical to what I'm doing except that I've been trying Debian 11 as recommended by OpenWrt...

But I've started a build on Ubuntu 20.04 just to see how far I'm getting there...
I know in the past it has been recommend to do a default build before moving to custom builds
That could be another idea I should try later ;)

BTW: I'd love to attach a snapshot of my notes as an MD file here (Of course, they might not be complete/correct since I still don't have a working Gargoyle installation on the TL-WR710N...)
How could I do that?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

“Using shell script to set i18n language”
Yep, big red flag.

You have all these versions of python, none of them are symlinked to “python” itself.
On Ubuntu you can install a package called “python-is-python3” which just creates a symlink. You can probably just do this manually.

I would need to check the shell scripts still actually work, but from memory they are significantly crippled in what they can do compared to the python script.
Fix this and do a rebuild. I am not sure if a quick rebuild will work or a full rebuild is necessary.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

heilbronn

Post by heilbronn »

Yep, big red flag.
Thanks for pointing this out!
You have all these versions of python, none of them are symlinked to “python” itself.
That was the result of a clean installation as described in all the docs read.
On Ubuntu you can install a package called “python-is-python3” which just creates a symlink. You can probably just do this manually.
I installed *python-is-python3* using apt - this should probably also be added to compilation instructions in the wiki :)

sudo apt install python-is-python3
...Fix this and do a rebuild. I am not sure if a quick rebuild will work or a full rebuild is necessary.
I did the following and will report back:

make distclean
make FULL_BUILD=true ath79.usb
Do think installing python2 isn't necessary at all?
Thanks again!

heilbronn

Post by heilbronn »

I installed *python-is-python3* using apt - this should probably also be added to compilation instructions in the wiki :)

sudo apt install python-is-python3
This did the trick! I already flashed the new build to my TL-WR710N v2.1 and successfully configured it as a "Gateway" with an "DHCP Wireless" uplink and as a "Client+AP" wifi access point! Perfect!

1) I will post my full markdown notes on building from scratch on github unless you are interested here?!
2) What would need to be done for you to enable the build for the TL-WR710N in the standard Gargoyle builds?

Thanks again!

heilbronn

Post by heilbronn »

BTW: I put up my full notes on *Building Gargoyle for the TL-WR710N* on Github: https://github.com/sheilbronn/Gargoyle-for-TL-WR710N

Feel free to the comment/correct there or to integrate them into any docs you like!