QoS Classification Rule

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

behappy

QoS Classification Rule

Post by behappy »

Does anyone take a note about to define Maximum Packet Length or Minimum Packet Length? The unit of measure is in byte and max. out with 1024 bytes equal 1kB.
I will mean the size is too small to set qos optimal, what is your opinion?

Normal request on port 53 is a few bytes (surf internet) or kB (torrent announcement). Loading internet page on port 80; small page is already exceeded 1 kB limit, big page 2kB+

Is it a difference qos implementation in gargoyle compared to Tomato QOS Classification?
Had tomato for years w. broadcom chipset router w/o probl. w. qos at all.

Personally I've edited packet length to max out w. 2kB (files qos.js and qos_gargoyle). In my experience better qos result. Hear from you.

pbix
Developer

Re: QoS Classification Rule

Post by pbix »

The maximum packet length in Ethernet is only about 1500 bytes so I cannot see the need as you say to increase the limit to 2kB and I also cannot see how you can get a 2kB packet.

I suppose we could increase from 1024 - 1500 bytes but I also do not see this being any help to QoS. This feature is usually used to identify small packets and I cannot see much benefit from such a change.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

behappy

Post by behappy »

Thanks for your explanation. It leads me to reread the qos classification and it raises a few questions about the options
- When using the maximum and minimum packet length?
- Will it be more simple using Connection bytes reach?

If using Connection bytes reach option then the limit in MB, is it too high?
In my case
- surf internet dns port 53, it makes DNS lookup a priority (maybe a few bytes)
- repeatedly dns lookup in the same port 53 (ex. torrent) may have low priority (kB+) so it doesn't hog the bandwidth
If the limit unit of measure in MB I think it will mix up the dns lookup and result a stalked browsing against torrent. Similar with light browsing contra heavy browsing (download file on port 80).

Will it be better using unit of measure in kB instead?
Please shed some light for me. Thanks.

mais_um

Post by mais_um »

Hi

This topic it's not new but am playing with the 1.4.0 QOS in RSPro and came across this problem ( Connection bytes reach).
Will it be better using unit of measure in kB instead?
Can i put 0.3 ? (Red text appears, so it's wrong ), KB will be grate.

Thanks for everything

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

First lets make sure everyone understands the difference between a packet and a connection. Ethernet transmissions are composed of packets which vary in length up to 1.5kB for IPv4. When you get a packet you can immediately tell its length just by counting the bytes that came in. This packet length is what can be classified with the packet length fields of the QoS rules. Packet length stands on its own as each packet could have its own length.

Connections are different. Gargoyle knows that a computer on your LAN is talking to one out there on the WAN. In example port 100 on 192.168.1.2 (noted 192.168.1.2:100) is sending multiple packets to www.google.com:80. This is a connection and Gargoyle keeps track of the total number of bytes sent on this connection. If 192.168.1.3:100 is talking also to www.google.com:80 that is a different connection with a different total. You can see all the connection including the byte talies on the status->connection list screen. The connection limit field in the QoS rules monitors this tally and when the limit is reached you can cause further traffic to be sent into another class. This type of matching is most helpful if you want say HTTP pages loads to be fast unless someone is donwloading a youtube video. The initial page load would only involve a few megabytes on the connection but once the video begins you see lots of megabytes and could reclassify to a lower priority. This is the "Powerboost" idea that comcast promotes. Initially things are fast until you start downloading a bunch from a single web site.

The minimum increment is 1MB for the connection limit since it involves multiple packets. You cannot use decimals in this field.

It might be helpful to me if one of you two would tell me what you hope to accomplish using very small connection matching. Perhaps you could accomplish your goal with what we have in hand.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

mais_um

Post by mais_um »

pbix, thanks for your attention.

In QOS (Upload ) by default in Match Criteria we have:

"Destination Port: 80, Connection bytes: 1 MBytes"
"Destination Port: 443, Connection bytes: 1 MBytes"

My understanding is when Connection (WAN) reach 1 MBytes the classifications for this connections change to Normal.

But This 1 MByte it's a total of a connection? not per second? I thought it was by second, my mistake because it's MBytes not MBps .

Any documentation for Gargoyle QoS ? I thought it was easier but some things require more study.

Edited: My goal is to limit bandwidth for certain IPs, without creating a new class

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

pbix wrote:But This 1 MByte it's a total of a connection? not per second? I thought it was by second, my mistake because it's MBytes not MBps .

Any documentation for Gargoyle QoS ? I thought it was easier but some things require more study.

Edited: My goal is to limit bandwidth for certain IPs, without creating a new class
Well OK, you got confused but now understand the difference between bps and Bytes.

As far as documentation goes Gargoyle has a lots on each QoS page. Much more than the alternative software packages out there.

Love to help you with your goal but you did not leave enough detail about what it is you want to do to comment much. Make a class that has the limited bandwidth you want for those IPs and then a rule(s) to classify traffic from those IPs into that class.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM