Gargoyle not installing on Netgear WPN824v3.

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

RetroReviewYT

Gargoyle not installing on Netgear WPN824v3.

Post by RetroReviewYT »

No matter what I try, I just can’t get this installed. Apparently I had to rename the firmware image to the Netgear specific filename structure, and doing that didn’t even work. I see there’s others on here who have ran OpenWRT or Gargoyle in the past on my particular router, but I can’t for the life of me get it installed.

Doesn’t help that Netgear uses .img files for their firmware. I tried installing Gargoyle’s 1.2.5 combined squashfs image, to no avail. The device does use a 2mb flash, which shouldn’t be an issue.

RetroReviewYT

Re: Unable to install Gargoyle 1.2.5 on Netgear WPN824v3

Post by RetroReviewYT »

It’s running the v1.0.8_1.0.7 stock firmware currently.

Lantis

Re: Gargoyle not installing on Netgear WPN824v3.

Post by Lantis »

Very little help will be available for such an old version sorry.
A device with 2MB of flash is not capable of running any newer versions, so you don't have very many options.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

RetroReviewYT

Post by RetroReviewYT »

Lantis wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:58 pm
A device with 2MB of flash is not capable of running any newer versions, so you don't have very many options.
What version will install on my Netgear WPN824v3? I even tried 1.2.5 as mentioned in the original post, and it would say it’s a invalid file name. Renaming it to the Netgear firmware structure allowed me to get a bit further but it still won’t install. There’s a couple other posters on this forum that were successful with my model of Netgear router in getting Gargoyle running.

RetroReviewYT

Post by RetroReviewYT »

Lantis wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:58 pm
Yeah, and actually OpenWRT doesn’t even support it. Heck, even DD-WRT doesn’t support it. Yet I see that OpenWRT has documentation on the command line interface. All because of the device having too small of a flash.... yet it seems there’s a couple users on here who were running it on my particular model of router in 2014 or so.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I think you are mistaken, no one had it running.
The two posts which mention it are spam. The text is just copied from somewhere else, a random hardware id is inserted. All for the purpose of throwing some dodgy links at the end.

The one person who replied to the spam did not imply they were using the device, only how to change TTL values in the OpenWrt space.

The OpenWrt documentation is for the 802.11n variant of the device with 4MB of flash. Still unsupportable today, but it was possible a while back.
I think you will find there is no support for the device.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

RetroReviewYT

Post by RetroReviewYT »

Yeah it seems like no one bothered to do a custom firmware for it, which baffles me because the firmware source code for the WPN824v2/V3 itself is OSS.