Setup DDNS

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

keyboardcowboy

Setup DDNS

Post by keyboardcowboy »

I have a TL-WR741ND router running Gargoyle 1.3.13 connected to a Shiro Modem running Routertech firmware 2.95. I wanted to access my wifi router remotely for which i signed up for a no-ip.com account..The problem is when i access the address created through no-ip.com it opens the shiro modem not the TL-WR741ND despite of DDNS being setup in gargoyle not in routertech..How can i access TL-WR741ND??

pbix
Developer

Re: Setup DDNS

Post by pbix »

What is the WAN IP address shown on the status->overview screen of your Gargoyle router? Chances are that it is a local address produced by your modem and not one that can be accessed from the WAN side automatically.

In which case you will need to do a port forward on your modem to enable you to access your Gargoyle router.

For example if you Gargoyle WAN IP is 192.168.1.1 then on your modem forward port 81 -> 192.168.1.1 Port 80.

Then access your router using http://<no-ip address>:81

keyboardcowboy

Post by keyboardcowboy »

The modem IP is 192.168.1.1 and the router's wan IP is 192.168.1.4
i forwarded port 80 and mapped it to 3959 but still no luck..I get a "Unable to open" error in firefox

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
i tried both TCP & UDP

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

You need to put the modem in bridge mode -- that way the WAN IP you get will be assigned directly to the router and not the modem, and everything will work as expected.

keyboardcowboy

Post by keyboardcowboy »

well that is something i have been trying to avoid..Is it not possible without having to put either in bridge mode?

keyboardcowboy

Post by keyboardcowboy »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i did some experimenting, i enabled Remote Web Admin Access and changed Remote HTTP Port to 88 after which i port scanned the no-ip.org host created by me through dyndns.com's open port tool. It shows port 88 as being open but still does not allows me to access the router through ****.no-ip.org:88...I did no port forwarding on my modem for this..And my modem does not have port 88 opened which clearly means that this port belongs to gargoyle

behappy

Post by behappy »

Now I don't understand why should you do port forwarding from gargoyle router if this statement is true; WAN ip isn't yr ADSL IP address, just a LAN ip from yr modem, understood yr router gets a WAN ip from private network segment 10.xx. or 192.xxx.

You may make port forwarding from yr Routertech modem so the internet can reach yr gargoyle router from this point; router behind NAT. Check out the guide from Routertech

EDIT: Arh!!! I can see my reply is already answered from pbix in the earlier upon post.

keyboardcowboy

Post by keyboardcowboy »

i am not doing any port forwarding from gargoyle. i did try from routertech but that did not work..This time when i enabled the remote web admin within gargoyle i can see the port open through online port scan tools on my modem's ip to which the no-ip.org points and this time i did not do any port forwarding in my modem

keyboardcowboy

Post by keyboardcowboy »

Ok got it to work..it does not work from the same network, i tried it from another PC on a different connection and it opens. Port forwarding is not required just the remote web admin option needs to be enabled and the port changed from the default 80 to something different