Quotas per IP/IP Range +MAC

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

sda

Quotas per IP/IP Range +MAC

Post by sda »

Is it possible to set quotas per IP or IP range in conjunction with it's recorded (at login) MAC address?

An example to explain, as I am no expert in terminology.

I have a dhcp pool from 192.168.1.2-10
Someone logs in and acquires an address (example 192.168.1.2), meets the set quota, then logs off.
Someone else comes along later and acquires the same address (192.168.1.2). His quota will be used up from the previous user.

Would his only option be to find an IP (static) that hasn't been "used" by someone else previously to access the AP ?

Thank you

Trailblazer

Re: Quotas per IP/IP Range +MAC

Post by Trailblazer »

I agree...I'm interested in this as well. :)
Netgear WNDR3700V2 Gargoyle 1.10.0
TP-LINK Archer C7 v4 Gargoyle 1.12

ven1meux

Post by ven1meux »

I linked mac addresses to IP addresses using iptables. And IP addresses I configure manualy, but you still can use dnsmasq to give users ip addresses based on their mac, on page connection->dhcp and static ip. My iptables rule is like

Code: Select all

iptables --t raw -I PREROUTING -i br-lan -s <white ip> -m mac --mac-source <white mac> -j ACCEPT

And at the end I drop all other stuff

Code: Select all

iptables -t raw -A PREROUTING -i br-lan -j DROP
And all this rules I store in a file /etc/firwall.user so I am not worried when AP reboots. And, of course, all this stuff I am doing via ssh connection, not GUI.

Till now it have been working perfectly, but I want more 'clean' solution, based on user credentials.

sda

Post by sda »

Thank you for your input.
I'll try it out and let you know of the outcome.
BTW has anyone have any experience with Gargoyle + Nocatsplash?
I've successfully installed version 0.93 pre2. It seems to work OK upon testing with a couple of PC's I have.I don't know how it will respond on the field with 10 or more connections.
I've read quite a lot of negative talk about it and any info would help in deciding to use it or not.

Cheers