TP-Link 1043ND, Wireless Connectivity

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

mosoft59

TP-Link 1043ND, Wireless Connectivity

Post by mosoft59 »

Hello.
I am a friend of "SubSixteen", Geelong, Australia. He created a thread called "LAN Sharing" under "General Discussion", on 20-Nov-2010. I have read all of the Gargoygle documentation and read various forums, but can't find a solution. I have more information.

TP-Link WD8840, 4 port, ADSL Modem. Setup as 10.0.0.1

TP-link WR1043ND, 4 gigabit, 802.11n wireless router, flashed to Gargoyle 1.3.7, Setup as 192.168.0.1. DHCP server in 192.168.0.* range. Connected via its WAN port to one of the 4 ports on the WD8840 modem. Running WPA authentication.

All PC's, and the printer, in the home are connected "wirelessly". All PC's have been assigned Static IP's in the 192.168.0.* range. All PC's can access the Internet. All hardware can be seen in the Gargoyle Web interface. None of the PC's can see each other ; they can not see each other in Windows "My Network Places" ; PINGing each other also fails. PC's can not send jobs to Printer.

Two weeks ago, the household was using a top-of-the-range Netgear ADSL, 4 gigabit, router/switch/modem thingie. All was fine, all PC's could see each other, and access shared folders on each PC.

Main reason for choosing "Gargoyle" was the Quotas feature. You know ; teenage boys, games servers, and the family's 50gb per month broadband limit is always exceeded.

P.S. It is not feasible to move to a "wired network", using the UTP ports on the TP-Link hardware. I will do an experiment, and connect a couple of laptops up to the WR1043ND's UTP ports. Then I will see if they can "see" each other.

Thank-you, Peter.

mosoft59

Re: TP-Link 1043ND, Wireless Connectivity

Post by mosoft59 »

We have just spent 2 hours performing all sorts of experiments.

Bottom Line : Wireless to Wireless Fails.

My terminology.
"Wired" = Using a UTP socket and Cat5 Fly lead into the WR1043ND.
"Wireless" = NO UTP cabling.

PC1-Wired to/from PC2-Wired. Fine, all good, full connectivity.

PC1-Wired to/from PC3-Wireless. Fine, all good, full connectivity.

PC3-Wireless to/from PC4-Wireless. FAILED. Can't see each other. Both units can still access the internet.

P.S. All units in the 192.168.1.* network. WR1043ND is 192.168.1.1

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Thanks for providing such a detailed bug report. Sounds like there might be an issue with the firewall configuration. I'm looking into this right now.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I just tested this wireless<->wireless connectivity on my TP-Link 1043ND and it seems to work fine for me. If anyone else is experiencing this problem, can you please post here?

Subsixteen

Post by Subsixteen »

Please Check If
Wireless Client Isolation is set to Disable.

Wireless Client Isolation (or AP
isolation as linksys calls it) which prevents one wireless client
communicating with another wireless client.

i hope this helps

mosoft59

Post by mosoft59 »

Thank-you, and sorry if this 'newbie' has wasted anyone's time.

"RTFM" - Read The Funny Manual. You can replace the word Funny, in this well used acronym. Please learn from my mistake.

Screen : Connection > Basic > Wireless > "Wireless Client Isolation". The router is incorrectly, for our needs, set to "Enable". :(

Paperwork : Documentation > Getting Started with Gargoyle.

It clearly says : If you enable the “Isolate Wireless Clients“ option, wireless clients will not be able to connect directly to each other, only to the router and to the internet.

I look forward to making this change, when I get home tonight.

P.S. I would a genius, if I could only learn from my mistakes. :D