Port Forward not working... multiple rules

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

mc999

Port Forward not working... multiple rules

Post by mc999 »

Hi

Have been using Gargoyle for a few years now (luv it!) and have never had a problem (well a major one!). Have been using port forwarding with only one rule to SSH into desktop PC and all worked great. I decided to also add port forward rule to wake the PC via magic packet (only needed the PC to be started when I required it during the day rather than always).

When I added the rule last night all was good - I could wake the PC with my phone, SSH into it, do whatever and then shut it down. I did this multiple times to ensure all was good.

Went to work this morning and wanted to start the PC up (via phone) but the machine was not starting up. Tried various apps on phone and online tools - nothing worked. Got home, checked gargoyle settings (I don't allow remote admin access) and all was in order. I used online tool to check if ports were open and only the original port forward rule port was open.

I tried removing the rule and re-adding it, disabling and enabling but nothing worked. Only the original rule's port would be open. I could change the port number of the original rule and check online and this rule's port was always able to be opened but any other rule after this one was ignored...

I also tried upgrading to latest version but this didn't help either. I went from 1.9.1 to 1.9.2 (and preserved settings).

Router is a TP-LInk Archer C7 V2.

Any ideas?

Can provide other details/logs to assist if required.

Help. :-(

ispyisail

Re: Port Forward not working... multiple rules

Post by ispyisail »

Try without perseving settings

If the configuration is broken it will say broken with preserve

mc999

Post by mc999 »

But the issue was there prior to upgrading to 1.9.2??

Can i upgrade 1.9.2 over 1.9.2?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Can i upgrade 1.9.2 over 1.9.2?
yes

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

But the issue was there prior to upgrading to 1.9.2??
Many a person has fallen into this trap

Gargoyle is rocksolid if setup correct but for some reason when adjusting config setting sometimes the config can get corrupt. Different versions is also a problem (upgrading using old configs)

This may not be your problem but its a good place to start

mc999

Post by mc999 »

Ok... i'll try upgrading tonight without preserving settings.

I did notice in the firewall config file that entries were a little screwy for redirect but redid port fwds and they fixed themselves.

Anyway will reapply 1.9.2 and post back results after i redo the settings.

Cheers

mc999

Post by mc999 »

Update:

Before re-applying 1.9.2 i thought i would check if original port fwd was ok so i could connect from work in the afternoon... ran port check and now the original port fwd wasn't working!

No changes were made to configuration after checking the rule was working yesterday... so something odd is going on.
:shock:

mc999

Post by mc999 »

Update: I applied 1.9.2 again this time without preserving settings and could successfully log in --> so good so far!

All settings left as default - configured as a gateway, nothing modified.

Created one port fwd rule and saved.

Used online tool (http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/) to check if the port was open - nothing, port is not open.

What else can I try? Any shell command to give me a list of the currently open ports? Not a linux noob so know my way around the file system and what not but no seasoned user.

:?: