USB support

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Cezary

USB support

Post by Cezary »

Eric, Do you plan to introduce support for USB (+ftp and smaba) in Gargoyle (like tomato-usb mod*)? Especially for USB in La fonera 2.0 or WL-500GP/W

*)
http://i40.tinypic.com/xkq4uu.png
http://i40.tinypic.com/330wajk.png

Eric
Site Admin

Re: USB support

Post by Eric »

Eventually. Right now, my biggest priority, however, is increasing stability and fixing minor deficiencies/issues with existing features. In particular, the way I've implemented Quotas / Access Restrictions works, but is monumentally stupid and really should be fixed -- so that's pretty high on my list of things to do. In addition a bunch of people have requested improvments in the Quotas section so that adds to the priority of this.

Also, the reason development has been so slow lately is that I've been spending a lot of time fixing bugs. As the user base expands, more esoteric bugs are reported and need to be fixed. Bug-fixes to existing features take priority over new features -- otherwise I'm just going to end up with a big mess... like M$ Windows ;)

So... USB support. The issue is that it's only appropriate for routers with a USB port. I think I've mentioned this before, but my plan is to eventually implement a module system for installing /removing certain components. My current plan is to eventually implement USB support as a module with this system that can be downloaded/included separately, for those who have routers that support it. Similarly, other large, memory/disk-space intensive modules, inappropriate for routers with less than 32MB of RAM, will be available such as OpenVPN and Captive Portal.

I don't know exactly when I'm going to get around to implementing this system -- there's so much else that desperately needs my attention right now. The best I can do is say, "eventually." However, I do take the feedback I receive into consideration when deciding what features I make a priority -- so anyone who wants this (or any other feature) should definitely let me know. No guarantees, but feedback is always appreciated!

And as always, anyone who wants a feature badly enough, is free to implement it themselves. I'm always very open to contributions.