Use of Gargoyle Openwrt?????

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

sanyad

Use of Gargoyle Openwrt?????

Post by sanyad »

I just bought TP-Link WR1043ND V2.0 router as someone told me that Gargoyle is able to log the bandwith (Not Speed in kb/s - I am talking about elapsed bandwidth in GB) for different computers on network connected with router. What I found is only the graphical view of speed logged by router which is otherwise not so important for me.
I just want to bound a mac id with some bandwidth i.e. like 50GB and after that the speed should drop to say 200kbps.
The original firmware of the router is however not having the facility but very elaborative.
I want to know the benefits of Gargoyle over the OEM firmware. Will I be able to revert back to OEM? Can I use the menu of both OEM & Gargoyle at once?
Do we have other methods to get above referred solution??
Please help me....

Lantis

Re: Use of Gargoyle Openwrt?????

Post by Lantis »

On the same page that shows the graph of speed, down the bottom is a table of elapsed usage. You can change this to show one user.

If you want to limit a user after an amount, use quotas.

The advantages of Gargoyle over OEM are all the additional features and the ability to customise it to suit your needs.

You cannot use both OEM and Gargoyle at the same time.

You may want to give this a thorough read: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... oyle_setup
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

sanyad

Post by sanyad »

Thanks for reply and help.
I upgrade my firmware with Gargoyle and observed that
1).we can not monitor the quota / bandwidth for individual MAC (PCs) on wireless lan network.
It only record / log data for PCs over hardwired Lan through LAN port.
I have 3 PCs connected on Wifi Lan with the router and the router is not logging the quota / bandwidth details for these systems.

Am I doing something wrong or it is a limitation of Gargoyle ? If we can not use Gargoyle for logging the data/web history/quota/bandwidth for PCs over Wifi LAN then it is not useful for me as I am not using LAN Port and using this as a wifi router only.
2). USB Share mode - The shared USB is visible in Window Explorer but not able to play movie files etc without copy the same on the PC first over Wifi Lan.
In actual OEM firmware , we can explore & play the movies directly from USB drive connected with router.

Please help.

Thanks

sanyad

Post by sanyad »

:o :o :o

Another Issue :

During the course of exploring my external USB drive through ftp , 1.7TB of data convetered ito RAW and hidden not showing in explorer. However the external HDD (4TB) is showing but without 2 Directories carrying files worth 1.7TB. Data other than this 1.71TB is OK and readable.

Still checking with file recovery software , showing 1.7TB RAW data including jpg,mkv files matched with my lost data.
Dont know how it happened while exploring USB drive through Gargoyle.

Bad experience with Gargoyle uptill now.

Data is not safe ...

Please reply if any of user had such problem and how did he/she get data back..

Eagerly waiting.

Sandeep

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The bandwidth usage works perfectly fine for wifi users. I'd suggest you either have a setup issue or a flash issue.

To play files directly from the drive you may wish to setup DLNA as a media server.

I've never seen anyone else report a harddrive losing data like that.
I'm sorry your experience has not been great so far.
All of these features work well and as intended. Perhaps you got a corrupted download.

You could recover your drive using any number of data recovery software as long as you don't write any more data to the drive until it is recovered.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

sanyad

Post by sanyad »

This is what I got.... No Bandwidth statistic.

http://i66.tinypic.com/6jgk8o.png

Why Web Monitoring is not logging detailed link ?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I am talking about elapsed bandwidth in GB) for different computers on network connected with router
Gargoyle only measures data going to the internet.

e.g. LAN to WAN

not LAN to LAN or between computers behind the firewall.
Why Web Monitoring is not logging detailed link ?
Known problem.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The graph being completely empty either indicates you aren't set up correctly at the WAN port or the firewall has crashed.
Reboot.