Can I precisely control download/upload speeds for users?

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

DaveZ

Can I precisely control download/upload speeds for users?

Post by DaveZ »

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a way I can set a specific bandwidth speed available for specific users or if I just have to choose from the slow/normal/fast/VOIP options? Out of those 4 options, which is the slowest and what is the speed?

Thank you.
Dave.

Lantis

Re: Can I precisely control download/upload speeds for users

Post by Lantis »

Define your own classes with your own speed limits
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

Thank you. Is there any documentation on how to do that? I couldn't find anything on the documentation or screen shot page.

Cheers,
Dave.

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

Never mind, worked it out. With the QoS, I just set the destination ip's as the ip's of the devices involved yes?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

a screen shot would be good to help others with the same problem.

Thanks

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

OK, so what I've done has not worked, the user I want to restrict still has full speed access :evil:

I created a new QoS class and called it Zack, I set maximum download speed to 30kb/S, then put the IP's of all his devices into that class.

What have I missed?

Thanks,
Dave.

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

OK, so I've re-ordered the QoS rules and put all the Zack ones up the top so they will be read first. While I don't really understand the other rules, it seems to be working. I think :lol:

I also have a small quota set for all other users not in the system so that i can capture unauthorized users. The quota is slowly being used up as I watch, yet there are no connected users listed that don't already have their own quotas. Any ideas?

Dave.

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

Hello DaveZ,

glad you worked it out by yourself.

Note that, when setting the destination ip, you could always set it in a range of ip adresses. E.g. in your case, "Destination IP" could be set to "192.168.1.30-192.168.1.34". It helps keeping things clear and simple.

Although, for what you're trying to achieve, i would set it through the Quotas section, and not QoS (there's nothing wrong doing it this way, though). In my opinion, using quotas helps keeping things more organized, and adds the possibility to enable/disable rules more easily, whenever necessary.

So here's how i would do it:

1) Create a "Throttle" class in QoS Download/Upload, specifying the Maximum Download/Upload desired, which aparently you already did.

2) Create a new quota as described in the screenshot below:

See if that helps. 8-)
Last edited by d3fz on Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

Yes, how I have it set up at the moment is untidy to say the least, but it works. I did originally have it set up through quotas like you say but couldn't find out just how fast the different speed classes where so I went to QoS. I didn't realise that a new QoS class would be available in the quotas section. thank you for the info.

Cheers,
Dave.

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

For some reason it wont let me specify groups of IP adresses in the QoS section. I can do it no problems in quotas, but not in QoS.