quota exceeded but net access still available.

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

DaveZ

quota exceeded but net access still available.

Post by DaveZ »

Hi all.

I have a monthly quota set up for a teenager user. It encompasses all his devices, well all the ones we've been able to add to the system so far. He has exceeded the download limit, so internet access should be shut off, but he is still accessing the net. His devices are showing up as using bandwidth still. I'll attach some screen shots soon, but I need to know how to make this work properly.

Cheers,
Dave.

DaveZ

Re: quota exceeded but net access still available.

Post by DaveZ »

Or is it possible that his devices will show up as using bandwidth even though he has no access? It doesn't look like he's accessed the web since midnight, but still shows up as using various percentages of bandwidth.

Also is it possible to capture the mac address of a new device if it doesn't have an active connection? I can see that 2 new IP addresses have connected through the router, and I would like to add them to his list of devices that count towards his quota.

Cheers,
Dave.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It is possible they will still show up.
Just wait until he/she complains, that will tell you if it's working.

If a device has connected shouldn't it have a DHCP lease listed on the connected hosts page?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

There's no lease on the connected hosts page, the last time the devices accessed the router was about 17 hours ago so possible it would have expired?

He is complaining about no internet but he's also a compulsive liar and sneaky as all get out, so I trust nothing from his mouth...

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

12 hours is the default so yes
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.