Setting up as a wired Repeater

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Joshmv

Setting up as a wired Repeater

Post by Joshmv »

I've set my new router (Router1 with Gargoyle) up in front of my old router (router2) via a LAN ports. I need help configuring the router so that I can do this:

1. Router 2 gives Internet to Router 1.
2. Router 1 can track quota usage (All Qos related configurations).

Thank you for your time :)

Lantis

Re: Setting up as a wired Repeater

Post by Lantis »

Take a cable from router 2 LAN into router 1 WAN.
Set connection method to DHCP wired.
Put the LAN from router 1 onto a different subnet to router 2 and everything should just work.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Joshmv

Post by Joshmv »

Lantis wrote:Take a cable from router 2 LAN into router 1 WAN.
Set connection method to DHCP wired.
Put the LAN from router 1 onto a different subnet to router 2 and everything should just work.
Beauty! It worked. Much obliged! Thank you very very much :)

Joshmv

Post by Joshmv »

Hey! How would this work if I have 2 routers set up with gargoyle running off the main router. How do I go about giving subnets? Thank for the help

tapper

Post by tapper »

so if your router 1 is on 192.168.1.1 then to put router on a dif subnet change it's IP to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.2.1 and you should be good to go.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

Joshmv

Post by Joshmv »

Sweet :) Thank you!

kevin g.

Post by kevin g. »

I am in a similar situation...Recently, my provider has bumped our speeds to 100 down, and my 1043ND is not keeping up. (it was my main router for years and gargoyle breathed new life in to it) I have swapped out the 1043 with a Belkin 750 (with custom Asus Firmware) that seems to handle the augmented speeds, and want to use my 1043 as the added wireless signal while doing double duty as a switch.

Previously, I have been using the configuration of adding the secondary as a wired repeater. (Per DDWRT setup.) The repeaters carry the same SSID and login to allow the wireless client to seamlessly move from one floor to another without having to login or connect to the next signal. It has worked well for years.

How would I do this with Gargoyle? I have been working on it all night, and have tried the wireless repeater mode, but it seems to be bridging via the WiFi signal. I don't want this.

Thanks in advance

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I would set
Connect Via : disabled
Wireless enabled and set to the settings you require (matching the other wifi network)

Then ensure that DHCP server is disabled.

This will let the ASUS router do all the network management, and the 1043 will simply act as a switch wired and wireless for the remainder of the network.
In this configuration none of the gargoyle features will work as they all run through the wan interface.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

kevin g.

Post by kevin g. »

So,

Device Configuration:
Gateway?

Internet/WAN
Disabled...Got it

Wireless:

Wireless mode...Access Point?
AP+WDS
AD-HOC?

All of these options still seem to connect wirelessly to the ASUS Router itself.
I think this is where my conflict is ocurring

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Just set wireless to AP.
This will broadcast a new wifi network, not connect to an existing one.