Adblock - can't add to white list

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

arthng

Adblock - can't add to white list

Post by arthng »

Hi,

I am running 1.9.1 on NETGEAR WNDR3700v4. I only recently started to tinker with the adblock options as a legimate site I was using is now being blocked. In the adblock screen there does not appear to be a button to add to the white list.

I have tried refreshing plugins, uninstall and reinstall but that didn't work.
It is the DNS Adblocking support for Gargoyle Version: 20160215-1.1.1

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Lantis

Re: Adblock - can't add to white list

Post by Lantis »

You only need to white list a site if it is in the black list. Therefore there is no need to be able to manually add white list entries, you simply transfer them from the black list to the white list with the "->" button.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

arthng

Post by arthng »

Thanks for your reply.

I must be missing something obvious. The block list says Displaying 0/13235. When I click on the Update Blocklist button the last run date is updated but the block list remains empty. The website works when I disable adblock but does not work when it is on - I assume it is related to adblock.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Did you see the help text underneath?
The block list can be very large, and the display can only show 10000 items at one time. You can find an item by searching for it by typing into the box and using the search button
To circumvent a limitation in javascript, it starts blank and populates based on your search. The 13000+ entries always exist in the back end and are being actively blocked. :)

I apologise if this isn't immediately clear.
The basic operation is:
The plugin downloads a fresh list of ads to a black-list. All of these will be blocked.
The white-list, if non empty, will search the black-list and remove any matching entries. They will therefore no longer appear on the black-list and thus no longer be blocked.
As a result, it is only necessary to add items to the white-list that otherwise appear on the black list.

Due to the large nature of the black-list, i can't load the entire list into memory at once, and to get around this i implemented a search function to allow users to display a subset of the list.

If there is anything else that is unclear please let me know.
If you think any changes should be made to make things more clear i'd be happy to hear that feedback also.

Thanks
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

arthng

Post by arthng »

Thanks for the reply.

It appears the website is not in the blocklist (hence I thought adblock was not working) but somehow when adblock is on firefox cannot display it. Even stranger because the site was working until recently. Website does not work for IE either way. Website works with Chrome when adblock is on or off. Moral of the story - have at least 3 different web browsers.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Can you let me know the website so I can investigate?
Either here or PM if you would rather not share