TL-WR1043ND V3

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Wahroonga Farm

Re: TL-WR1043ND V3

Post by Wahroonga Farm »

eightfifteen wrote:I'm getting the same 18005 error as well.
Is this a US purchased TP-Link V3?

eightfifteen

Post by eightfifteen »

Yes. I bought it from Amazon today.

Vic

Post by Vic »

Hello,

Completely new to flashing routers.
(LONG VERSION - short version at bottom) My story:
I have a few people using the internet in my house, and suddenly my internet usage has skyrocketed from a few gigs a day to 25+ gigs a day. Obviously everyone denied using excessive bandwidth, after suggesting people police themselves for a month that failed.

I searched for a way or a router that could do that for me. It led me to Gargoyle as the only good option.

So I read up here briefly, and bought a WR1043ND. I received the V.3 from Amazon.

Following through these pages, I saw that you should only now need to use the "official" for V3. So I went to the Mega upload as previously stated and downloaded the V1.9 published July 23/16 for the WR1043 v3.

I simply updated the firmware with the "factory" file and it appeared to work.

I logged in, and changed password and time zone.

Then I started looking around, but the odd thing was the router kept giving me a disconnected message. Hmm I thought, maybe Gargoyle has to reboot when I change menus. (Plus none of the monitoring features work.) It kept doing this, so I stopped browsing inside the interface. But the router kept rebooting.

I thought, maybe I should try to load v1.8.1 as published on pg 1, and confirmed working a few pages later. But I saw that it was only "factory", but since I now had v1.9 I assume I needed the upgrade. So instead I went to DL the upgrade file for v.2.
So here was my issue, my router kept rebooting every 10 seconds, so not really enough time even to get the file uploaded, and then even if I did, which one should I use? The factory 1.8 made for V3, or the "upgrade" 1.8 made for v2. All the while I'm doing all kinds of google searches for "gargoyle" "rebooting" "resetting" how to downgrade, etc on my cell phone (since my main router keeps rebooting still every 10 seconds). I came up against one page posted WAY back where someone thought their router was resetting due to daylight savings.

So before I did anything, I found the reset to original settings and it sent me back (luckily it worked between the reboots) to the "firstboot". I was careful NOT to set my new password or timezone.
And for the length of me posting this message my router has been working.

SHORT VERSION-
1. The offical 1.9 for WR1043ND works (purchased from Amazon in Canada).
2. Don't change your TIMEZONE, keep it on default British time. Otherwise your router may keep rebooting every 10 seconds (and none of the bandwidth monitoring features / graphs work.)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You should use 1.9.1 at this stage.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Vic

Post by Vic »

Hi,

I am using the 1.9.X as posted in Mega by Petbrau.
https://mega.nz/#F!7A0xFZJY!As3Zmj2fXNFa2QBaXPExKw

(I assume this is the most recent version? 1.9.X as posted July/2016, otherwise I have no idea where to find a more recent version as the download page hasn't been updated yet with the 1.9.1 for WR1043ND V.3. Since it's so popular and it's now officially supported probably putting it there would be easier?)

rehctelf

Post by rehctelf »

eightfifteen wrote:I'm getting the same 18005 error as well. I've tried the changing the name of the bin files, tried the various versions of Gargoyle, tried OPENWRT, even tried a flash upgrade from TP-Link.

450M Wireless N Gigabit Router
Model No. TL-WR1043ND
Firmware Version:
3.16.9 Build 151021 Rel.74655n
Hardware Version:
WR1043ND v3 00000000
Me too ... router just arrived via Amazon US today with the same versions and I keep getting the 18005 error. Has anyone been able to get theirs to work? Any ideas? "Please help!" (Lelu Dallas Multipass)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Has everyone tried loading the latest openwrt/lede trunk builds and then downgrading to gargoyle?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

rehctelf

Post by rehctelf »

I'VE GOT GARGOYLE!!!

I used this process from the OPENWRT site, but installed the Gargoyle image instead of OPENWRT ;-)

"For revision v3.0, stock FW 3.16.9 Build 151021 or newer won't accept OpenWRT image. I got it working by connecting a tftp server at 192.168.0.66 to a LAN port, copying the OpenWRT image to filename wr1043v3_tp_recovery.bin in the tftp server root, then powering on with the reset button held down for ~20sec."

pryan

Post by pryan »

I've got Gargoyle tooo!!

Thanks to rehctelf for the encouragement he gave toward getting past the annoying US Build 151021 problem. But my route to getting there was a bit more difficult because for the life of me, I could not get the router to TFTP download the flash image. Still not sure why of that.

Instead I went a circuitous route of flashing from the web interface. First to DD-WRT then, key, reverting back to a stock TP-LINK v3 image which turned out to be the Build 150514. From there, the Gargoyle 1.9.x image could be flashed from the web interface, bringing joy.

It may be possible to skip the DD-WRT step, and it'd be worth a shot. DD-WRT refused to flash the Gargoyle image for some reason (note that I always shortened the filename).

So, the images I used were the following, in order, starting from stock Build 151021:
+ factory-to-ddwrt-wr1043ndv3-us.bin (--> http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 47#1004347)
+ wr1043ndv3_webrevert.bin (embedded in downloaded wr1043ndv3_webrevert.rar --> http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 69#1031069)
+ gargoyle_1.9.x-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043nd-v3-squashfs-factory.bin

HTH someone!

cykain

Post by cykain »

Just to be clear, V3 routers are apparently shipping with:

Firmware Version:
3.16.9 Build 151021 Rel.74655n
Hardware Version:
WR1043ND v3 00000000

This build will not accept the mega file version 1.9.. anyone who gets here save yourself reading through 8 pages of posts and immediately know that hocus pocus will be required to use gargoyle on this router.

So don't do what I did and buy this router thinking it won't require hocus pocus and you can simply download a file and then use the upgrade function of the router to flash to gargoyle. It won't work.

Now I'm off to read through the pages and pages of hocus pocus instructions.... I'll let you know if I get it to work.

pryan wrote:I've got Gargoyle tooo!!

Thanks to rehctelf for the encouragement he gave toward getting past the annoying US Build 151021 problem. But my route to getting there was a bit more difficult because for the life of me, I could not get the router to TFTP download the flash image. Still not sure why of that.

Instead I went a circuitous route of flashing from the web interface. First to DD-WRT then, key, reverting back to a stock TP-LINK v3 image which turned out to be the Build 150514. From there, the Gargoyle 1.9.x image could be flashed from the web interface, bringing joy.

It may be possible to skip the DD-WRT step, and it'd be worth a shot. DD-WRT refused to flash the Gargoyle image for some reason (note that I always shortened the filename).

So, the images I used were the following, in order, starting from stock Build 151021:
+ factory-to-ddwrt-wr1043ndv3-us.bin (--> http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 47#1004347)
+ wr1043ndv3_webrevert.bin (embedded in downloaded wr1043ndv3_webrevert.rar --> http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 69#1031069)
+ gargoyle_1.9.x-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043nd-v3-squashfs-factory.bin

HTH someone!
This method does work to get gargoyle on the device. I haven't tested full functionality or anything yet but, it will get gargoyle on the device.