TL-WR1043ND v3 file name parsing

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

NineIguanas

TL-WR1043ND v3 file name parsing

Post by NineIguanas »

It seems TPLink's factory firmware may have new code parsing the file name in the "upgrade firmware" section or similar.
I've just found I had to rename the gargoyle file name into the same name format as the file tplink use, eg "wr1043v3_3_19_32_up_boot(150915).bin"
After this it worked like normal.
Usually don't have to do that... no it wasn't a typo, etc, I tried several variants before this worked.
This was a brand new TL-WR1043ND v3 (noted it had a white plastic bag around the unit inside the box, previously this had been clear).
Hope this helps someone get gargoyle loaded.

FREEWiFiMarketing

Re: TL-WR1043ND v3 file name parsing

Post by FREEWiFiMarketing »

You van change to any thing that is shorter

NineIguanas

Post by NineIguanas »

Yeah was aware you had to shorten the name, had a name that was already shorter that I'd been using fine on many previous v1, v2 & v3 WR1043's. I'll experiment more when I get the next chance.

markosv

Post by markosv »

UPDATE: problem solved - see follow-up post below

Hi - i've just bought a new TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (v1) router in NZ. I've downloaded the firmware from the Gargoyle website, but i'm hitting this filename parsing issue -
"Error code: 18005
Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name."

I've tried
1) original firmware name from Gargoyle (v1.9.1 factory)
2) shortening to 'Gargoyle.bin'
3) renaming to same as an official firmware from TP-link
4) upgrading to latest TP-link firmware (successfully) then trying all steps above.
5) experimenting with small variations of official TP-link firmware names.

Nothing :-( Somebody please help!
Last edited by markosv on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markosv

Post by markosv »

*** Problem Solved ***

Hi all - issue is now resolved. In my previous posting i was trying to install Gargoyle 1.9.1 (factory) onto the device unsuccessfully.

After posting, i tried to install Gargoyle 1.8.1. This initially failed (due to firmware name check in factory firmware), but it worked after i renamed the bin to match an existing TPLINK firmware. Once 1.8.1 was successuflly installed, i then updated to 1.9.1 without any issues.

The odd thing is that i tried (and failed) to install 1.9.1 with the EXACT SAME filename as i used for the successful 1.8.1 install. I am certain that the filenames were the same. Perhaps someone else can explain what is going on.