Device won't take right static ip

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

psycik

Device won't take right static ip

Post by psycik »

I put a new device on the network, a camera NVR from dahua. It took a .215 address from the dhcp pool.

I then used the dhcp page and to,do the device to be .64 with the name NVR.

I then told the device to restart and again it took the 215 address. So I forced the device on to 64 and turned off dhcp, restarted router and device. When they came up turn dhcp back on on the NVR. Again it took 215.

Running out of ideas. What can I look at? I've tried clearing /var/dhcp.leases, tried reassigning the address from 64 to 63, it always seems to pick up 215.

Lantis

Re: Device won't take right static ip

Post by Lantis »

It sounds like you've done everything right, but have you tried a good old fashioned wait for the lease to expire?

Several actions you took should force it to expire but still
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

psycik

Post by psycik »

Yeah I have a 12 hour lease time. So should have expired over night, so when I told it to switch over the dhcp today it should have gone to the address I wanted. Alas no.

I did see some errors around won't assign name NVR to device on 215 as its in the hosts as 64.

Almost so makes me think it's getting dhcp from somewhere else (don't think it has one internally - how would I tell?).

psycik

Post by psycik »

Ahh yes, seems the culprit is the NVR. It acts as a dhcp server commented cameras....but in the process hands out dhcp to itself (even though the listed gateway when it's a dhcp client us the router).

Hmm interesting. Will have to see what the connected cameras do with dhcp turned off when I try it weekend.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I've seen that before but with another device.
What a pain!
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

psycik

Post by psycik »

I turned it on to dhcp, it instantly git that 215 address again...but I port scanned it and saw no dhcp server on it. Wonder what would happen if I put a device on 215 then tried dhcp.