Is QoS not meant to work perfectly?

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Volaris

Re: Is QoS not meant to work perfectly?

Post by Volaris »

pkm wrote:http://imgur.com/lXpWOpp

You can see here, despite twitch having a 1800kbps min BW requirement it doesn't seem to work well. Ive also tried giving twitch 90 percent BW but it seems like something is just overriding these settings. The IP bandwidth sharing, im thinking.
Per IP bandwidth sharing would only affect it if there's someone else in the house streaming Twitch (in which case, you guys would get half of the Twitch bandwidth each).

I'm also going to blame your Internet bandwidth. Streaming at high, Gargoyle on my connection shows usage of 1600 to 2400kbps, despite the video stats showing a constant 1400-1500kbps. It's very dynamic with lots of spikes, I think depending on the amount of action in the video. At source it was around 5000-6000kbps. Medium mostly under 1000kbps.

I suppose you could try setting aside 2500kbps for Twitch (both percentage and minimum bandwidth) then try to stream at High. But then that would leave the remaining rules quite tight.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

pkm

Post by pkm »

Volaris wrote: I'm also going to blame your Internet bandwidth. Streaming at high, Gargoyle on my connection shows usage of 1600 to 2400kbps, despite the video stats showing a constant 1400-1500kbps. It's very dynamic with lots of spikes, I think depending on the amount of action in the video. At source it was around 5000-6000kbps. Medium mostly under 1000kbps.
Ah you are right there on high there does seem to be times when there is a big spike in bandwidth requirement. I think this has to do something with the protocols that streams use.

I was also thinking of giving a wireless ISP a try, but gaming is still my number one concern and wireless is well, wireless...

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

pkm wrote:
Volaris wrote: I'm also going to blame your Internet bandwidth. Streaming at high, Gargoyle on my connection shows usage of 1600 to 2400kbps, despite the video stats showing a constant 1400-1500kbps. It's very dynamic with lots of spikes, I think depending on the amount of action in the video. At source it was around 5000-6000kbps. Medium mostly under 1000kbps.
Ah you are right there on high there does seem to be times when there is a big spike in bandwidth requirement. I think this has to do something with the protocols that streams use.

I was also thinking of giving a wireless ISP a try, but gaming is still my number one concern and wireless is well, wireless...
Do you know any people that use that wireless ISP? Some wireless ISPs have really low pings... just depends how it's setup and how well they do QoS. Or you can even contact them - I'm sure they know what typical pings are for their customers and you won't be the first to ask.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

pkm

Post by pkm »

I have actually found some wireless ISPs that offer reliability through their services (and low ping). So thats good news maybe i might give it a try.

But i was also wondering, at how much speed or at what point using gargoyle's QoS can i play games without others streaming/downloading have affect on my pings?