help with managing upload

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

pkm

help with managing upload

Post by pkm »

I've had alot of QoS problems in the past, and now i see the problem is upload. Ive done alot of googling on this, and im not sure if the gargoyle firmware can help with this.

When there is upload that involves TCP traffic (which is basically everything non gaming) my internet slows down to dial up speed. Pings start going nuts as well. Originally i thought that limiting upload speed would solve this, but only seems to work a little.

Any kind of TCP upload traffic, even if i limit upload speed to like 50kbits still manages to lag the connections, speed wise and ping wise.

So not sure how i can go about fixing this. Do i need QoS rules here? Make TCP connections have priority or something?

ericwong

Re: help with managing upload

Post by ericwong »

pkm wrote:Any kind of TCP upload traffic, even if i limit upload speed to like 50kbits still manages to lag the connections, speed wise and ping wise.
The obvious reason is every download requires upload. You can find this information elsewhere online. e.g. for a 100Mbps connection, you requires 2Mbps upload to sustain the 100Mbps download.
pkm wrote:So not sure how i can go about fixing this. Do i need QoS rules here? Make TCP connections have priority or something?
There are many approaches you address this but obviously, you need to configure QoS properly. What you have mentioned before is incorrect configuration of QoS by restricting upload speed.

If you are trying to address download speed, you should configure QoS for download. For gargoyle router, you should enable the ACC, so it can automatically adjust your internet bandwidth for efficient QoS operation.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

pkm

Post by pkm »

No, what I want is, when someone uploads, the download link not to suffer like speeds plummeting down to dial up and pings going crazy.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

pkm wrote:No, what I want is, when someone uploads, the download link not to suffer like speeds plummeting down to dial up and pings going crazy.
I have not tested it this way yet because I don't suffer from such problem.

What I had is basically same set of QoS rules for both download and upload. It works fine for me and I don't notice any problem with download speed. FYI, I only have 2Mbps upload but 100Mbps download.

In any case, I believe you don't have QoS configured properly. QoS is not magic and it requires manual configuration and some thinking behind what rules to put in.

If you want someone to help you for your specific case, you need to provide your QoS rules for download and upload along with your use cases or what you expect QoS to do for you. Otherwise, you aren't going to get more useful advise than what I have told you.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

pkm

Post by pkm »

Well from google searching i believe i have to make a QoS rule on giving ACK packets priority. I think, since it uses TCP i will have to make a rule on the download and upload sections too.

How do i set this up?

pkm

Post by pkm »

Would i get more help on this in the DD-WRT forum or something?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

There was recently an entire thread about prioritising ACK. I dot have time to locate it at the moment but it included examples.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pkm

Post by pkm »

Lantis wrote:There was recently an entire thread about prioritising ACK. I dot have time to locate it at the moment but it included examples.
Ah yes I found it. Unfortunately I have already tried the suggestions in that thread.

I just don't get why maxing my upload completely screws the internet over where as doing the same with download has little effect. Even the acc works pretty good when I'm downloading something using full speed.

And I'm talking just uploading here (like a picture), not even torrenting.