WR842 v2.3 only gets 50 Mbps

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ericwong

Re: WR842 v2.3 only gets 50 Mbps

Post by ericwong »

Ducatiboy Stu wrote: The wireless connection speed is 72Mbps for Gargoyle
Seems like you are using 20Mhz width for your 2.4Ghz WiFi. This is the expected connected speed for 802.11n at 20Mhz for a single antenna device.

You will only get 150Mhz connection speed if you use 40Mhz width for a single antenna router.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

Ducatiboy Stu

Post by Ducatiboy Stu »

Lantis wrote:Can I see your wireless config file?
/etc/config/wireless

Don't forget to hide sensitive information (passwords, SSIDs maybe if they are important to you).

Code: Select all

config wifi-device 'radio0'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option hwmode '11g'
	option path 'platform/ar934x_wmac'
	option channel '1'
	option htmode 'HT40+'

config wifi-iface 'ap_g'
	option device 'radio0'
	option mode 'ap'
	option network 'lan'
	option disassoc_low_ack '0'
	option wds '1'
	option ssid 'Gargoyle test'
	option encryption 'none'
ericwong wrote:
Ducatiboy Stu wrote: The wireless connection speed is 72Mbps for Gargoyle
Seems like you are using 20Mhz width for your 2.4Ghz WiFi. This is the expected connected speed for 802.11n at 20Mhz for a single antenna device.

You will only get 150Mhz connection speed if you use 40Mhz width for a single antenna router.
Set for

AP+WDS
N+G+B
40Mhz ( 2nd Chan above )
TX power = Max
MAC filter = Disable
Wireless Chan = 1
No Encrypt
Brewer of Beer
Driver of a Morris Minor Ute
User of Linux
Installer of Asterisk
Comms Tech for many years

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Please add "option noscan '1'" to your wifi-device radio0
Restart the wireless interface by running "wifi" at the command line, and re-test please.

If this works it will confirm what Ericwong has said (which I also believe is what is going on here).
And if it does work, I'll give you an explanation of this functionality and the implications for your customers.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Ducatiboy Stu

Post by Ducatiboy Stu »

Lantis wrote:Please add "option noscan '1'" to your wifi-device radio0
Restart the wireless interface by running "wifi" at the command line, and re-test please.
This worked :)

. Connection speed 150Mbps, LAN test ~90+Mbps
Brewer of Beer
User of Linux
Installer of Asterisk

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Ok cool :)
So the good news is that everything is working as intended.

In the 2.4GHz spectrum, due to the low number of non overlapping channels, there is a standard for when 40MHz channel widths are allowed to be used and when they are not.
There is a formula (which I can't find right now), but basically it decides how much of an impact you using 40MHz will have on your "neighbours". If the impact is too great, it disables it (even if you set 40, it will down rate to 20MHz).

If your customers are in a less congested wifi area, they'll have no problems getting full speed.
People in apartments or town houses are the ones that typically experience this the most.

This is a great informative article about the subject.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless ... ghz-part-1

The "option noscan" does exactly what it says, it disables the router from checking for neighbouring networks. Which is illegal by FCC regulations, but good for testing like in this case :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Ducatiboy Stu

Post by Ducatiboy Stu »

Good old channel spacing :D

Now that brings back some memories of setting up trunked radio systems in the days before mobile phones when they bought in 12.5Mhz wide channels underneath the then standard 25Mhz spacing.

I might have another play and disable the existing wifi points and re-test just to see what happens. I am interested to know why the stock firmware goes to 150Mhz under the same conditions. Maybe Gargoyle/WRT sticks to the standards better. Which is actually a good thing as it shows a lot more engineering thought.

Now for the ultimate question...Can the no scan option be built in without it causing ramifications latter on...although I think I already know the answer to that question.

For general customers on a 50Mb connection or less it wont matter at all.
Brewer of Beer
User of Linux
Installer of Asterisk

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Mmmmmmmmmmm
We are now toeing a thin line which I'd rather avoid discussing on the forum as per an agreement by the dev team.

The legal ramifications are important.

Ducatiboy Stu

Post by Ducatiboy Stu »

I can understand that.

I would not ask for something that can cause significant ramifications to the project ( nice as it would be, but i fully understand the issue )

And I will point out that I will not be changing the current default Gargoyle config sent to customers.

I just purely wanted to know from having been a tech for so long....it gets into your blood
Brewer of Beer
User of Linux
Installer of Asterisk