WR842 v2.3 only gets 50 Mbps

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Ducatiboy Stu

WR842 v2.3 only gets 50 Mbps

Post by Ducatiboy Stu »

Playing with some new stock today of TL-WR842ND's and noticed that with Gargoyle it only achieves ~50Mbps Wireless on our local LAN. The stock factory WR842ND gets over 90 Mbps wireless.

Cabled gets ~90 Mbps on both routers. Not worried that neither get 100Mbps as this is hard to achieve with the other LAN traffic

The test were done with no QOS, Bandwidth or Quota controls set on our local LAN to the server via a switch. Both routers go thru the same switch. I am using the same PC and the same LAN tester (LAN Speed Test-Lite by tutosoft.com) doing a block test 100MB in size to the same file location. Tests are done within a minute of each, other alternating between the 2 routers

Tried different channels and width etc but get the same repeatable results

Is there anything I could have missed ?
Brewer of Beer
Driver of a Morris Minor Ute
User of Linux
Installer of Asterisk
Comms Tech for many years

Lantis

Re: WR842 v2.3 only gets 50 Mbps

Post by Lantis »

Is the 50mbps throughput or negotiated link speed?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Ducatiboy Stu

Post by Ducatiboy Stu »

Mmm..

I didnt check the negotiated link speed of the wireless connection. Wont know now till Monday when I am back at work.

The switch and the gateway router should be both 100M, but thats irrelevant as I know it gets 90+ thru both test router LAN ports

Maybe the link wireless is negotiating at 54M as some tests reached 53Mbps

Might take the home laptop in. It has Inssider so I can have a better look at what is happening with the 2 test routers wireless connection
Brewer of Beer
User of Linux
Installer of Asterisk

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

yep that sounds like the best idea :)
It sounds to me like N wasn't enabled.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Ducatiboy Stu

Post by Ducatiboy Stu »

From memory, the only wireless selection was b+g+n in the drop down.

Was something I took note of when playing.

The stock factory wireless menu allows a choice of 3 combo's...

Note :- Original test were done without any wireless security or encryption. Fully open.......
Brewer of Beer
User of Linux
Installer of Asterisk

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

If b+g+n was the only option then you must be using 1.8.1 or similar?

I can't recall whether that one uses the correct wifi config.
You want
hwmode as 11g
And
htmode as HT40+ or HT40-

It's then a good idea to "iwinfo" to check it's gone through correctly.

Ducatiboy Stu

Post by Ducatiboy Stu »

gargoyle_1.9.x-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr842n-v2-squashfs-factory.bin

Thats the version its is running. Cant remember where the link is for it, cant find it anywhere here
Brewer of Beer
User of Linux
Installer of Asterisk

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

In my experience, 50Mbps WAN to LAN throughput using 802.11n is pretty typical speed using 2.4Ghz using Gargoyle.

I have yet to see higher WIFI throughput using 2.4Ghz using Gargoyle (I can reach same speed as ethernet WAN to LAN throughput when using 5Ghz on a 100M connection).

In my opinion, you shouldn't worry too much about whether you can hit the same wireless throughput as your stock firmware.

Looking at the spec of TL-WR842ND, you are not likely to hit 50Mbps on ethernet after you enable QoS and bandwidth quota with a number of custom rules. You should be pretty happy to get 40Mbps after you enable QoS (I mean with QoS with more rules than default..).

I had been testing Archer C7 for the last 24hr trying to optimize my Gargoyle 1.8.1 settings for maximum ethernet throughput but the best I can get is only 40Mbps out of 100Mbps connection. FYI, I can hit 80Mbps if QoS and bandwidth are both disabled on this router.

I would welcome any suggestion if you have any. Otherwise, I think the problem is partly software related because 1043nd ver 1 is not a lot slower than C7 under identical configurations and test environment. I hope the next firmware release will address/improve the slowness I experience.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

Ducatiboy Stu

Post by Ducatiboy Stu »

Manged to get back and have a bit more of a play

Here is the current Gargoyle info

Code: Select all

Gargoyle
Gargoyle Version:1.9.X (Built 20151110-0402 git@5dd9058)
Model:TP-Link TL-WR842N/ND v2
Device Configuration:Gateway
Memory Usage:16.5MB / 28MB (59%)
Connections:63/4096
CPU Load Averages:0.08 / 0.03 / 0.05  (1/5/15 minutes)
The wireless connection speed is 72Mbps for Gargoyle and 150Mbps for stock WR842v2. ( I also had a look at the Netgear WAP in the office and its getting connection speed of 65Mbps, throughput of ~45Mbps )

Throughput speeds are ~50Mbps for the Gargoyle and ~90-100Mbps for the stock WR842 ( naturally being a 100Mb LAN the stock WR842 will only go to 100Mbps throughput)

The 50Mbps is probably not going to be an issue for most as their internet connection speeds are 50/25/12Mbps or less. Only a few customers go for the 100Mb connection

* edit...Phat Phingers spelink
Brewer of Beer
User of Linux
Installer of Asterisk

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Can I see your wireless config file?
/etc/config/wireless

Don't forget to hide sensitive information (passwords, SSIDs maybe if they are important to you).