Quotas; 1 user with many computers.

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

patrickivers

Quotas; 1 user with many computers.

Post by patrickivers »

Hi there,

First and foremost, thank you for the top-notch job on this router-management software. I'm extremely impressed!

Secondly, a query: I currently live in a sharehouse with about 9 other people, many of whom have multiple internet-connected devices (e.g. desktop, laptop, iPhone). I've set up static IPs so that each user's IPs are from a range. For example, John Smith has IPs assigned to all of his devices from the range 192.168.1.120 - 192.168.1.129. So his desktop LAN connection is 192.168.1.120, his laptop Wi-Fi connection is 192.168.1.123, and his iPhone 192.168.1.125. Now, this guy is a HEAVY internet user and usually caps us within the first week of the month. I obviously want to place a quota on him of about 15GB per month, but I want to make sure that each one of his devices COMBINED will count towards that quota (NOT individually. I don't want him getting 45GB total).

Now... my question is this...

Will setting up a quota of 15GB that applies to an IP RANGE mean that each IP the quota applies to be combined in counting towards that quota, or does it just mean that each IP within that range will have individual quotas of 15GB?

I've gone through all the forum threads and haven't found an exact answer to this question.

Delphinus

Re: Quotas; 1 user with many computers.

Post by Delphinus »

Just give it a go and see what happens. You'll quickly work out if you got it right.

"All hosts without explicit quotas (combined)" gives each computer the ability to go up to the limit, so what you're proposing makes sense and should work.

Report back with how you get one.

patrickivers

Post by patrickivers »

I gave it a shot and it seems to work.

I just added individual IPs to a single quota and each IP combined would count towards that quota.

Here's a screen...

As you can see, a few people have multiple devices, but they don't get individual quotas for each device. Fantastic stuff! :D

cj_mack

Post by cj_mack »

Wow that's a lot of data he must be using. How'd you get on once he worked out he was capped? I had a very similar situation in my flat. I just got everything sorted and then they did something really horrible (unrelated to internet) and I kicked them out... At least I got the internet working how I wanted!

AF35

Post by AF35 »

the hard way is always to kick heavy downloaders out. otherwise TPG is the way to go for sharing flat since their quota is generous and the 1mbps shaping also helps alot after the quota is reached. so as long as a good QoS setting is in place, you should be fine.

xuanyinwen

Post by xuanyinwen »

HI Guys, May I ask a question here?

I have set this in my flat for a month, I feel that the internet company count the data is more than the data that gargoyle router count my flatmate used.

any where I can adjust it?

cheers
wen

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Right now you can't manually adjust the counts.

The most likely reason that your router's count is low is that the router lost power at some point. The bandwidth gets saved to a permanent location (on the flash chip) only once every 4 hours, so if your router gets powered down randomly you will lose up to 4 hours of data.

xuanyinwen

Post by xuanyinwen »

Hi, thanks Eric

What do you mean for power down? is it mean power cut,
but our flat never have power cut
it seem like around 200Mb short when we use 2Gb.

so is it nothing we can do at the moment?

many thanks!

xuanyinwen

Post by xuanyinwen »

Also, I should let you know that I am using MR3201A router, and 1.3.5 version. do you think if I change to Lynksys WRT54GL, it will be better?
as sometimes the data count even more short.
cheers

Wayne

xuanyinwen

Post by xuanyinwen »

Hi Eric,

Could you let me know any way can solve the router count lower the real. and I still not quite understand what do you mean for lost power?

many thanks!!
Wayne