Can I lower the ping spikes?

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

tals

Re: Can I lower the ping spikes?

Post by tals »

It makes no sense to me that your isp 70 and opendns is 65 if that is further away.

It should be the one that is the first point on the Internet as the idea is to see if your line is congested. Any hop beyond that reduces your ability to determine that. I believe non isp targets are selected if you can't rely on the isp target
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

pkm

Post by pkm »

So i should be using the first hop from the trace routes?

For no apparent reason pings (to everything) will spike up and down every 20ish seconds while ACC on idle and there is very little traffic.

I think i might need wipe the router and just start over.

tals

Post by tals »

If you do a ping -t to the address without qos what does it do. Do you have another router where you can do the same thing?

pkm

Post by pkm »

Same thing, will get 50ms times, then 450ms times, then 50ms and so on with more 450ms spikes.

I dont have another router though. Modem ok?

Does the 1.8.0 firmware work well with my WDR4300? Its stable version but i have read some bad reviews for this router. Should i try the 1.9 experimental version?

pkm

Post by pkm »

Right now it seems no matter what i do with this router i cant stop the pings from spiking up every few seconds. I remember having this problem before when trying to setup gargoyle.

greyfreak19

Post by greyfreak19 »

pkm wrote:Same thing, will get 50ms times, then 450ms times, then 50ms and so on with more 450ms spikes.

Does the 1.8.0 firmware work well with my WDR4300? Its stable version but i have read some bad reviews for this router. Should i try the 1.9 experimental version?
Okay here are things you might wanna try upgrade the firmware ver to 1.9.0 i am currently however using the 1.9.X version you can just try the 1.9.0 for now.
by my experience i had like these ping lags before aswell i have a ADSL router/modm from my ISP in Bridge mode and a 4down/1up line.
my problem was ACC more specifically My ACC Ping target was the culprit my then as a test i used google dns server you may use either google dns or open dns depending which give you better pings after it set uncheck the set manual ping time let Gargoyle calculate this for now then start a big download for roughly 10min then stop it then you can launch your game and do the testing if you classes and rules are correct pings will be reasonable also make sure you isp isnt throttling your connection for your game my isp occasianally screw up my routings which make my pings skyrockets even if one youtube video starts. also if possible do the testing with wired ethernet cables wifi can sometimes be inaccurate as it can also add latency

pkm

Post by pkm »

Thanks for your suggestion, but I believe the problem lies elsewhere. With the router in idle state, no traffic as well as default settings with no rules no QoS my ping times are erratic. This is also noticeable when I load Web pages or watch videos constantly buffering.

tals

Post by tals »

pkm wrote:Same thing, will get 50ms times, then 450ms times, then 50ms and so on with more 450ms spikes.

Ok from that if you have turned of the qos and are still getting the same issue I'd be inclined to believe that you either have a line issue (in the house or extenal) or your ping target is having an issue. I'd be surprised if it was the router but to be sure you really need another one to test. The only thing which may be an issue is if the cpu load on the status screen is maxing out.

pkm

Post by pkm »

Yeah I've had about enough of this useless router. Packed it up and put it away. Went and bought a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND flashed gargoyle, put in some QoS rules and now everything is working perfect.

Don't know how else to say it. Either the 4300s suck or mine is faulty.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

pkm wrote:Yeah I've had about enough of this useless router. Packed it up and put it away. Went and bought a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND flashed gargoyle, put in some QoS rules and now everything is working perfect.

Don't know how else to say it. Either the 4300s suck or mine is faulty.
What router was it?