DLink DIR-825

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: DLink DIR-825

Post by Lantis »

You might need to wipe your build directory and start fresh.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

The_Hawk

Post by The_Hawk »

Done a clean process a bunch of times now on two different ubuntu machines with the same results, always the uboot error.

Again for giggles I tried excluding uboot and it's no surprise that it manages to get through the process... problem is I still have a 7.4MB file so even if I solve that problem I think my image is still going to be too big unless I can slim it down.

Is there anywhere to download the basic config that is used to build the image that you download from the downloads section??

ie gargoyle_1.9.0-ar71xx-generic-dir-825-b1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin (which is much smaller and works nicely).

The plan would be to then add the couple of things I want (which wouldn't hopefully be minimal).

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

The_Hawk

Post by The_Hawk »

I've been reading more and realised that the ar71xx.usb profiles end in the 'fat' image (which is too big).

ar71xx.default is actually the build I want.

If I run
make FULL_BUILD=true ar71xx.default
this ends up with (what I assume is) the correct firmware build spat out at the end. I haven't actually tried loading the image, but the process does actually complete.

So I pulled the config file from targets/ar71xx/profiles/default/
then used
make custom

and loaded that config file and edited it using the menu to add in vpn, tor and usb storage support (i also removed the languages I don't need...

But that ends with the same old "cp: cannot stat ‘bin/ar71xx/uboot-ar71xx-nbg460n_550n_550nh:’: No such file or directory" error.

I've just started another build, this time manually editing the config file then using the original command (which is the only one that seems to work):
make FULL_BUILD=true ar71xx.default

Will see how that goes in a couple of hours.

The_Hawk

Post by The_Hawk »

Success! It seems the manual tweak of the config file have worked and my build process managed to run through to completion.

Before tweaks the sysupgrade files was 3.6MB, it's now 4.3MB so *something* extra has gone in...

I will have a go at loading it tonight and see how it all goes! Fingers crossed.

I still wonder what was causing the error with the custom build process. Here's hoping it all works as I would like.

The_Hawk

Post by The_Hawk »

Update, the firmware loaded up fine (as has the 5 other firmwares I've made since then although none of them have done what they are supposed to, I can get adblock working, but not USB or openVPN.

I've decided to tackle one problem at a time.

USB:
I get the usb storage menu item but regardless of which format I use I can never get a USB stick to show up (and I've tried a couple).

I found this article that talks about it in some detail.
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/usb.storage

The short it seems that you need to turn on extra things and install support for the format types you want to use, so I've done this and turned on the support for vfat, NTFS and EXT4 (and a couple of other) but those are the three I commonly use.

So this:
CONFIG_PACKAGE_plugin-gargoyle-usb-storage=y

then these:
Required Packages for USB Storage
When your USB device is properly recognised by the system, using the proper driver kernel packages listed in Basic USB support, the following packages facilitate USB storage support:
*kmod-usb-storage required … Kernel support for USB Mass Storage devices.
*kmod-fs-<file_system> required … the file system you formatted your partition in. Common examples include kmod-fs-ext4, kmod-fs-hfs, kmod-fs-hfsplus, kmod-fs-msdos, kmod-fs-ntfs, kmod-fs-reiserfs and kmod-fs-xfs.
*kmod-usb-storage-extras optional … Kernel support for some more drivers, such as for SmartMedia card readers.
*block-mount recommended & required (if using fstab UCI configuration or luci Mount Points) … Scripts used to mount and check block devices (filesystems and swap) and hotplug capability (recognition when device is plugged in).
*kmod-scsi-core Any mass storage is a generic SCSI device.
Problem is it's still not working :(
Am I missing something here in the config?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

When you enable the gargoyle usb storage in the build it auto selects all the drivers you need.

When you plugin a device, can you do a logread and post it?

The_Hawk

Post by The_Hawk »

The light on the USB stick flashes but the log shows nothing at all USB related.