Quotas per time period

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

alanaacj

Quotas per time period

Post by alanaacj »

Hi,

I searched the forums and could not find a answer to a question I am looking to solve.

If its there please forgive me, I must have missed it!

I want to use Gargoyle to share a satelite ISP plan to several houses in my neighborhood.

This plan have a maximum data amount. I need to share this volume and speed equally.

I know that gargoyle's quotas can do it. But I have some doubts.

1 - The ISP plan has a time period of free traffic (00:00 to 06:00AM) and i need that the traffic of this period does not be counted in quota. There is some way do do it ?
Can i log the data consumption per user and per time ? In other words, can i split the traffic log in periods, so i can check how much the user exceeded of its share ?

2- I will need to log in a persistent external storage, for billing prove, gargoyle can do it in a usb flash or external HD ?

Thank's

Alan.

nworbnhoj

Re: Quotas per time period

Post by nworbnhoj »

alanaacj wrote:1 - The ISP plan has a time period of free traffic (00:00 to 06:00AM) and i need that the traffic of this period does not be counted in quota. There is some way do do it ?
Yes
Gargoyle - Firewall - Quotas - Bandwidth Quotas - Quota Is Active - Only - These Hours - 06:00-24:00
alanaacj wrote:Can i log the data consumption per user and per time ? In other words, can i split the traffic log in periods, so i can check how much the user exceeded of its share ?
Yes
Gargoyle - Status - Bandwidth Usage
Also the user can visit the gateway IP address and view their own Quota Usage
Also, when quota is exceeded you can block or just slow the user.
alanaacj wrote:2- I will need to log in a persistent external storage, for billing prove, gargoyle can do it in a usb flash or external HD ?
Yes you can attach USB storage put probably will not need it to hold usage data
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

b17gsr

Post by b17gsr »

alanaacj wrote:2- I will need to log in a persistent external storage, for billing prove, gargoyle can do it in a usb flash or external HD ?
From what I've learned about Gargoyle, as is, it won't export the quota info to USB device or via email.

Since it's Linux based, coding could be added to track that info. I don't even have the slightest idea where to start...
Linksys WRT3200ACM on 1.10.x
D-Link DIR-890L/R access point with blah stock firmware
--- Retired ---
TP-LINK Archer C7 v2 on 1.9.2

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

What are you actually trying to achieve? To give each house a view of their current quota use? or history of use? or a backup recored? ......?
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

flashman

Post by flashman »

Hi!

Is it possible to write quota data backup to external USB flashdrive?

Thanks!

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

flashman wrote: Is it possible to write quota data backup to external USB flashdrive?
No, the quota is automatically saved to the router's internal flash. There is not need to back it up.

You can download backup to your computer though.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

flashman

Post by flashman »

Sorry, I mean that it would be better - save quota data to flashdrive instead built-in memory, to extend it lifecycle. In my case I save this data once an hour, because sometimes AC power line fails, so that resets quotas.