WRT54GL as repeater doesn't work.

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

moritzm

WRT54GL as repeater doesn't work.

Post by moritzm »

Hi,
I just tried to get my WRT54GL v1.1 working as a repeater. The goal is to improve a wifi-signal without changing anything on the AP.

So I tried to put the WRT in repeater mode, but it didn't work like I wanted it.
The router connects to the AP and I get an IP and have a internet connection if I am connected via cable.
But if I'm trying to connect via WIFI to the WRT, I don't get an IP-address. Even if I set up a static one in my computer.
I used the following settings:
- connect via client bridge
- repeater enabled
- ssid to join: myhomessid
- ssid to broadcast: myhomessid
- encryption: wpa2 psk
I doesn't work either if I use different ssid's.
If I try to use WDS, I can connect via WIFI to the repeater, but the WIFI connection between repeater and AP fails.

Does anybody knows how to solve this issue?

Moritz

DoesItMatter

Re: WRT54GL as repeater doesn't work.

Post by DoesItMatter »

What type of router is the AP?

Is it the same chipset - Broadcom? If not - WDS won't work.

Little more info is necessary.

Can you get Client+AP mode working? Does that mode work?
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

moritzm

Post by moritzm »

For testing purposes the AP is a Asus WL500gp with Openwrt. Later it should be some kind of Vodafone router. Because of this, I did not configure my AP in WDS.

What do you mean with client+AP mode?
The WRT54Gl can establish a wifi connection to my AP and I am able to get an IP and connect my laptop to the internet, but only if I use a wired connection between computer an WRT54GL.
If I try to connect my computer to the WRT54GL via wifi while it is wirelessly connected to the AP, the computer doesn't get an IP.

But if I understood it correctly, the WRT54GL can be connected by wifi to an AP an at the same time is used as repeater even with another SSID.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Neither Client+AP or repeater will work on that router, because of the broadcom multiple SSID issue.

borg

Post by borg »

Eric wrote:Neither Client+AP or repeater will work on that router, because of the broadcom multiple SSID issue.
Hi Eric, any estimate as to when this problem will be fixed? As I remember from a previous post of yours, you said you'll fix this once you've finish migrating to Backfire.

Regards
Johan

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

It's hard to give an estimate. I've already tried tackling this problem, and I'm really not sure how to fix it -- if it were an easy fix I would have addressed it a long time ago.

I may try again now that Backfire is released, but I can't make any promises.