Questions for WR1043ndv2

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

ex1t

Questions for WR1043ndv2

Post by ex1t »

Got a WR1043ndv2, set a minimum bandwidth in qos of oem firmware and while I'm not getting random 200ping due to someone downloading youtube, I'm still getting unavoidable ping spikes (20ms to 50ms small freezes/stuttering)

Will MinRTT alleviate these ping spikes?

Which Gargoyle firmware should I install?

Any known issues on WR1043NDv2 for this firmware?

If I'm going to void the warranty, it'd better be worth it. But ping times are a priority since I have been suffering from ping issues for 3+ years, so much that I'm going much out of my way to fix, isp not doing anything.

Volaris

Re: Questions for WR1043ndv2

Post by Volaris »

ex1t wrote:Got a WR1043ndv2, set a minimum bandwidth in qos of oem firmware and while I'm not getting random 200ping due to someone downloading youtube, I'm still getting unavoidable ping spikes (20ms to 50ms small freezes/stuttering)

If I'm going to void the warranty, it'd better be worth it. But ping times are a priority since I have been suffering from ping issues for 3+ years, so much that I'm going much out of my way to fix, isp not doing anything.
Do you get ping spikes when nobody is on Youtube / there's no load on the bandwidth? If no, then Gargoyle should keep those ping spikes down, even without minRTT on.

The problem is that many (most) OEM firmwares are not very good (or fast enough) at giving equal bandwidth among users, leading to those ping spikes during congestion.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

ex1t

Post by ex1t »

Volaris wrote:
ex1t wrote:Got a WR1043ndv2, set a minimum bandwidth in qos of oem firmware and while I'm not getting random 200ping due to someone downloading youtube, I'm still getting unavoidable ping spikes (20ms to 50ms small freezes/stuttering)

Do you get ping spikes when nobody is on Youtube / there's no load on the bandwidth? If no, then Gargoyle should keep those ping spikes down, even without minRTT on.

The problem is that many (most) OEM firmwares are not very good (or fast enough) at giving equal bandwidth among users, leading to those ping spikes during congestion.
I set a minimum bandwidth on my oem firmware which doesn't remove ping spikes even when noone is on, it does stop youtube from making me have crazy 200ping, so basically only stops other people affecting my performance but not the line from being congested. So it's a congestion issue and while speeds aren't affected to the point where it's a hassle, I still get tons of ping spikes.

I have a 100/2 connection that heavily degrades 5pm onwards (to like 30mbps in total and tons of ping spikes)

As long as Gargoyle doesn't destroy aspects of my router, I will be fine giving it a go. Currently when I ping http://www.google.com, I get 20-25ping with spikes from 35-300 every 10 "pings" ATLEAST (sometimes more drastic). To what extent would MinRTT help me?
Last edited by ex1t on Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ex1t

Post by ex1t »

So I take it that there are no issues on the wr1043ndv2 for 1.8.1?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Should be as good as anything. give it a go.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi giv it a go with 1.9 if you dont like it then you can flash back to stock.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

ex1t

Post by ex1t »

tapper wrote:Hi giv it a go with 1.9 if you dont like it then you can flash back to stock.
I'll have a look at 1.9 if it's more stable than 1.8.1.