Anchorfree VPN

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

dlogictech

Anchorfree VPN

Post by dlogictech »

Hi Guys,
What are the chances of having the Anchorfree VPN supported directly in the router's firmware.

This would be very helpful in the case of network devices other than computers such as (Media Players, TV's, Blueray players, other appliances) that cannot install the client.
D-Link DIR-835 Rev. A1 using Gargoyle
1.9.X (Built 20160524-1903 git@004a64c)

TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Ver. 1.6 using Gargoyle

TP-Link TL-WR740N Ver. 1.10 using Gargoyle

StopSpazzing

Re: Anchorfree VPN

Post by StopSpazzing »

HotSpot Shield aka AnchorFree VPN. (HSShield)

Unfortunately, I personally wouldn't trust any VPN that doesn't list the encryption they offer. My guess is they use poor encryption or no encryption at all which exposes you to risks while using their VPN. Also, if their download for free link returns a error link, kind gets me worried. Seems they REQUIRE you to use their app on all platforms.

I sent this technical question to their support, which you should see why it will never be supported unless they reply with proper information:
I do not want to use any of your apps, and would prefer to use OpenVPN to access your network. I don't see any client files to download to set this up. I also don't see what type of encryption you guys use: PPTP, L2TP, IPSec and SSL? Why are you hiding this information?
I'll update you when and if they reply. In the future would suggest using a more honest company that lists what encryption, if any, and offer support in writing on site in plain view that they support OpenVPN, which is one of the highest security you can get for VPN that's widely supported by trust worthy companies. This is the support provided by gargoyle firmware and I believe is more than adequate.

I currently use privateinternetaccess.com and on their site, you can click on client area and download their openvpn config files to setup without even logging in (you still need to log in once you have your openvpn configured at connection). Not saying they are the best or anything but from the companies I have compared, they were at the top.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I currently use privateinternetaccess.com and on their site, you can click on client area and download their openvpn config files to setup without even logging in (you still need to log in once you have your openvpn configured at connection). Not saying they are the best or anything but from the companies I have compared, they were at the top.
With gargoyle, if so what version?

I had no luck with PIA and gargoyle

StopSpazzing

Post by StopSpazzing »

Last time I tried, there was a bug with gargoyle and openvpn where wouldn't accept the information and save.I posted about it somewhere here i the forums. I haven't tested it for some time. I could try again to see if I can get it working again. If the issue was fixed, then should be easy to do.

If you look through their forums, lots of people have posted about getting it to work with OpenWRT. Would be a issue with gargoyle if it doesn't work, as I've had it working waaaay back on Tomato-USB and I can confirm it worked on DD-WRT.

@ dlogictech
Still waiting on them to reply, may not reply till tomorrow, since weekend and whatnot.

StopSpazzing

Post by StopSpazzing »

@dlogictech

This is their response:
# Please type your reply above this line #

Ticket #869642: Cancel: Instructions to Cancel Auto-Renewal

Request Solved

Title: Cancel: Instructions to Cancel Auto-Renewal | Ticket Number: #869642 | Status: Solved

David, Oct 30, 14:04:
Hello Stopspazzing,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

To cancel the auto-renewal of your subscription, please follow the instructions in the links below:

For Credit Card and PayPal Purchases
For iTunes Purchases
For Google Play Purchases
For all other orders, please send your order number or username and we will process the cancellation for you.

Thanks,

David
Like... wtf? Like they blew off my question.

ispyisail wrote: With gargoyle, if so what version?

I had no luck with PIA and gargoyle
I just recently tested it on my TPLINK WDR3600, I'm getting the same issue I had before. Says config file not found, even with the option to manually set the settings. Seems like a bug or something and hasn't been fixed. Never had an issue using it on DD-WRT so I know for a fact it works.

If you dont get this issue. just copy all the info from the openvpn config file into the manual config box, select the cert and should work without issue. They have instructions for DDWRT you could try following also.