Backup current firmware before flashing.

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Fonel

Backup current firmware before flashing.

Post by Fonel »

Hi everybody, seems like a really nice forum and I am really eager to try out Gargoyle on my new Fonera 2.0 router, but I am currently running firmware 2.0.1.1 (http://wiki.fon.com/wiki/Firmware_2.0.1.1_(Rats!)) on my Fonera and I would like to backup that firmware before I start messing around, especially as this firmware does not seem to be available for download anywhere. Does anyone know how I might backup my firmware? Thanks.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Backup current firmware before flashing.

Post by Eric »

Well, I don't know where you can get the older 2.0.1.1 firmware, but I do know where you can find more recent 2.2.3.0 (Mr. Catterpillar) firmware. This firmware does have ssh enabled (as soon as you set a password other than the default and reboot). The FonFlash tool I recently created (available in the download section) can flash this firmware. Steve Leeman has this firmware available for download at his site, along with detailed instructions on the flashing process.

Fonel

Post by Fonel »

Thank you for your reply and I already knew about the newer firmware, the thing is that since this firmware does not seem to be available anywhere except on the beta version of the Fonera 2.0 then I would want to back it up so that I have it just in case. Therefore taking into consideration that you made an application to flash the Fonera I hoped you know how to do the reversed, backup the firmware. Do you have any suggestions?

skynetbbs

Post by skynetbbs »

pressing the reset button <10s will delete all your settings
pressing the reset button >10s will normally revert your firmware to factory defaults -> RATS at this moment...

mid april the new Fonera 2.0 will be in the store which should be shipping with "Caterpillar"...
which should be flashed to "Platero" (at this moment)
and a newer version is currently being in test...

there is a new firmware monthly adding more features & plugins...

currently there is no reason to stay on "rats"...

it doesn't even have Luci...

If you want I could create a "rats" firmware dump ... I still have an "boxed" version of Fonera 2.0

skynetbbs

Post by skynetbbs »

http://wiki.fon.com/wiki/Firmware_2.0.1.1_(Rats!)

I've added the links to the original firmware;

you can flash it back with http://flash.fonera.be
after your testing with gargoyle/ddwrt/open-wrt

but it's better to directly go to the "platero" release which has so much more...

At the moment they are working on Flickr, Picasa AND FACEBOOK integration as well :-)

Fonel

Post by Fonel »

Thanks for making a backup of the firmware, the only reason I wanted to have a backup is because I wanted to make sure I could go back to a firmware I knew works if all other firmware didn't work, no matter how highly unlikely that is I wanted to know I had the possibility to go back. Now I do not know if I should be impressed by the community support the Fonera has or if I should be freaked out since I am being cyberstalked :p But ever since I got my Fonera I made 3 questions about it online, 2 of them you answered, on the OpenWRT forum as your second post posted the day after your first post there and here as your first and second post, coincidence? No I think I appreciate the help I have received so I will just be impressed by the community support around the Fonera :)

I have now started to use the Platero firmware on my Fonera, but I am still not satisfied so I will see what I other options are available starting with the Gargoyle firmware.

skynetbbs

Post by skynetbbs »

Fonel wrote:on the OpenWRT forum as your second post posted the day after your first post there and here as your first and second post, coincidence? No I think I appreciate the help I have received so I will just be impressed by the community support around the Fonera :)

I have now started to use the Platero firmware on my Fonera, but I am still not satisfied so I will see what I other options are available starting with the Gargoyle firmware.
okay keep us posted about it...
I'm also still not happy that some features are not present in platero...bridging being one of them...

Fonel

Post by Fonel »

skynetbbs wrote:okay keep us posted about it...
I'm also still not happy that some features are not present in platero...bridging being one of them...
Bridging is one of the features I am missing also, so I will keep you updated, but in a different thread then this since it sorta is a bit off-topic for this thread.