TL-WR941ND v3.2 settings & storage issues w/Barrier Breaker

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

s0ne

TL-WR941ND v3.2 settings & storage issues w/Barrier Breaker

Post by s0ne »

Starting with Barrier Breaker, my TL hasn't been able to succesfully save or modify settings/plugins/memory. This is very likely related to an Intel memory chip v3.2 is known to use. Note that Gargoyle versions 1.6.2 and lower don't present these issues.

On versions 1.7.x the settings would not stick or be lost after a reboot. Here's a post reporting that: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... 040#p28040

On version 1.8.0 (and I think 1.7.2) there's a brief period of less than half an hour after flashing the firmware where all settings/plugins/memory can be set and will be kept. After that, the memory seems to become read-only and no changes will stick - even when using uci or directly editing files.

I'm hoping that the Chaos Calmer releases will fix this, but is there anything I can do to help diagnose the problem?

ispyisail

Re: TL-WR941ND v3.2 settings & storage issues w/Barrier Brea

Post by ispyisail »

I don't have these problems (I don't have that router though)

The usual procedure with gargoyle is somebody reports a problem then gets confirmed by another user (or many) then Eric sometimes has a closed look

Things to try/check

- Failsafe rest
- Space problems Flash/Ram
- Hardware failure

s0ne

Post by s0ne »

ispyisail wrote: Things to try/check

- Failsafe rest
- Space problems Flash/Ram
- Hardware failure
Tried to failsafe boot with the hardware button method but it seems that it's broken on TL-WR941ND and I couldn't telenet in: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- ... lsafe_mode
Is there a difference between failsafe firstboot and restore default configuration via the web interface?

Router has 32mb of ram and usually 20mb are free. There are around 70 free Kb on /dev/mtdblock3 with BB on a clean install.

I don't think it's hardware failture. Today I flashed v1.5.6 and just as with v1.6.2 storing settings/files works ok.

I think Barrier Breaker changed how it deals with the flash memory and it causes problems with certain versions of WR941ND.

I'll make sure to try the experimental versions of Gargoyle Chaos Calmer when they come out.

Edit: v3.2 flash chip problems mentioned here https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php ... 04#p210504

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

new router then?

s0ne

Post by s0ne »

ispyisail wrote:new router then?
Right away :D. Any recommendations on the TP-Link line that are unlikely to get bugs like these that will make me get a new router?

Fun stuff aside, I'll wait for CC and meanwhile see if v1.5.6's WLAN is stable and it doesn't have the "locked on check" QoS active congestion glitch.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

TP-Link TL-WR1043ND
TL-WDR3600
Archer C7 AC1750 (still a few small bugs but this is the current router going forward)

Check for details at Openwrt before purchase. Things change, even with the same series router

adix

Post by adix »

Hi,
New owner of TL-WDR3600 and installed Gargoyle just fine. I have seen this same cfg loss problem.

Configuring / tinkering qos etc, and go back and all qos settings gone, DHCP statics half of them were made unlabelled. I rebooted and restored a backup from previous day and it came up fine.

I was just clicking around the menus, then when I went to the status pages, bw dist etc - they were blank or not showing up right.

Ive also noticed that oddly, the PPPoe connection time resets to 0 when you save settings in qos etc. but according to ISP ive not dropped connection - so maybe related or not.

Gargoyle Version:1.8.0
Model:TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1

Now I am a bit suss on this.