Image for Rosewill RNX-GX4

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

swinters

Image for Rosewill RNX-GX4

Post by swinters »

Hi. Noticed that the Rosewill RNX-GX4 is supported ( nice, on sale at newegg and my wrt54g just died) but there is no mention of which image to use. Do I use gargoyle_1.2.1-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx?

Thanks.

ps2chiper

Re: Image for Rosewill RNX-GX4

Post by ps2chiper »

Yes that is what you use.

zoofer

Post by zoofer »

Add me to the short list of Rosewill RNX-GX4 owners running Gargoyle. I got 1.2.1 installed (finally) after bricking the poor router trying to use Windows 7 TFTP to flash from a non-functioning (for me anyway) Tomato v1.27. I was eventually able to unbrick with a different TFTP client (tftpd32) and flash Rosewill's crappy original (but functional) v1.08, then surprisingly I was able to flash Gargoyle 1.2.1 from Rosewill's web interface.

Whew!

Unfortunately I'll have to wait until I get home to plug it into the cable modem to see if it works (this is where Tomato let me down, as I couldn't get it to pull any info from my cable modem). If we can get IP updates from my ISP AND get my Slingbox configured via UPnP, we might just have a winner!

Fingers are crossed!

KC

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

Don't forget to power cycle the cable modem!

Anytime you flash a router with different firmware, it looks
different to the cable modems.

You always have to power-cycle your cable modem as well.

Make sure there is no battery backup active on the cable-modem.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

zoofer

Post by zoofer »

The Gargoyle firmware appears to be working very well with my Rosewill RNX-GX4 wireless router. And the Slingbox installed without a hitch, which was a priority for me.

Well done!

Looks like you should add this router to your officially supported list!

KC

ps2chiper

Post by ps2chiper »

You need to thank spudz for that, we originally added sflash support for the Netcore NW618. It is a chinese router that was re-branded into rosewill. Eric didnt care about adding support to it but spudz did.

zoofer

Post by zoofer »

ps2chiper wrote:You need to thank spudz for that, we originally added sflash support for the Netcore NW618. It is a chinese router that was re-branded into rosewill. Eric didnt care about adding support to it but spudz did.
Thanks spudz!

I knew from the Newegg reviews that the RNX-GX4 was a rebranded Netcore NW618, and I also knew that the stock Rosewill firmware left a LOT to be desired - but it was never my intent to use it. I tried DD-WRT which worked OK but natively lacked uPnP (without jumping through a bunch of hoops, that is). Tomato looked real good on paper, but I simply couldn't get it to work and I was starting to get very frustrated. I googled "Netcore NW618 firmware" figuring I could locate an archived copy of Netcore's firmware and Gargoyle popped up in the search results. After looking through the screenshots and reading the FAQ I figured I'd give it a shot. Glad I did.

KC