2 suggestions

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

djmuk

2 suggestions

Post by djmuk »

Request 1: I can't find a wireless status / signal strength display (for the client bridge) in repeater mode... I would expect it to be on the 'Status' page but no...

Request 2:
I am using the engenius eoc1650 which has a WLAN status led and 3 coloured leds (R,Y,G) which the native firmware use for signal strength display (I think the eoc2610 has something similar) - how difficult is it to replicate this in Gargoyle? I know enough to hack the code if someone points me in the right area... At present it seems that the Green signal strength LED is being used for WLAN status...

(Edit - also is it possible to set different encryption for the client bridge and repeater - eg repeat a WEP network as open or Vice-versa)

Thanks

David

Eric
Site Admin

Re: 2 suggestions

Post by Eric »

1) You're right, I should get around to implementing this at some point.

2) Probably not. I prefer to spend time working on features that are not specific to certain hardware models, but if anyone wants to provide a patch it would be most welcome.

3) No, you can't repeat with different encryption, but you can setup a (routed) ap+client configuration where the ap has different encryption than the client.

djmuk

Post by djmuk »

Eric

thanks for the reply...

#1 would be very useful...!

#2 I would be happy to try & work out what is needed - I was debating whether to use gargoyle or build a custom openwrt with ebtables support. A hint of where to start would be useful - where is the GPIO for the 'WLAN' led set?

#3 The universal repeater / CB-AP combination is what I need, I can't have clients to the repeater hidden behind a NAT router (and I am not setting up multiple routes to different networks!) as this is to use in conjunction with a hotspot setup so I need (IP) visibility of all the clients.

Thanks
David

djmuk

Post by djmuk »

OK Progress re Engenius EOC 1650 (& 2610?) LED display...

Changing the active WAN LED is simple once you dig your way through the code...

The LED to GPIO assigments are:
'WLAN' GPIO 2
Red GPIO 4
Yellow GPIO 6
Green GPIO 7 (don't ask why!)

GPIO 0 is the reset line which was an interesting one to use for the ledpin - reset as soon as it gets a packet!

To do it temporarily you need the sysctl package (which I think is in by default)

this sets the gpio pin to use:
sysctl -w dev.wifi0.ledpin=2

this toggles the softled off & on to set up the gpio pin correctly...
sysctl -w dev.wifi0.softled=0
sysctl -w dev.wifi0.softled=1

Only minor problem is this doesn't necessarily turn off the original LED... which you can do if you install the gpioctl package...

To do it on reboot add the following lines to /etc/sysctl.conf
dev.wifi0.ledpin=2
dev.wifi0.softled=1

I have done the rest of it in a shell script but am struggling to find a tidy way of running the script repeatedly - If I use 'sleep' then that spawns an extra process for each call and so causes the PID number to increase and I guess there is a max PID somewhere along the line.... Same if I use CRON to start the script I guess. So my options seem to be either to build a dev environment & write it in C or use a Script language (Perl?) - I would prefer the latter. Any suggestions for which script package to use (small, fast?)..

Thanks

David