TCP - UDP Timeouts and better ping

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

CarpeNoctem

TCP - UDP Timeouts and better ping

Post by CarpeNoctem »

I was wondering if anyone could clear this up for me.

If I'm going for the best ping my connection can offer, what's a good and safe reccommended value for both TCP and UDP timeouts?

Right now, I'm using 3600 in TCP and 120 in UDP.

Using the Netalyzr Tool (http://n2.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/analysis/), I found my current values net me an Upload Latency of around 80 ms and a Download Latency of between 380 and 300 ms, with ACC active, which by the way means Gargoyle is doing a hell of a job fighting Bufferbloat.

General latency is 120 ms, give or take, which is quite good considering I'm in South America and I have the ISP from Hell.

Would lowering either the TCP or UDP values have any noticeable effect on my overall Ping?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

encro

Re: TCP - UDP Timeouts and better ping

Post by encro »

In my testing, changing these values yielded little to no improvement to ping. I had better luck getting my QoS Setup refined and a manual ping target.

The default values in Gargoyle (1.7.1) are:
Max Connections: 4096
TCP 600
UDP 180

The Cisco recommended defaults are different.
Netgear WNDR3700v4 (N600) - Gargoyle 1.14.x
D-Link DIR-835 - Gargoyle 1.7.1 (Deceased)
Manual set up for PIA's OpenVPN in (Private Internet Access): https://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9129&p=45410#p45410

pbix
Developer

Re: TCP - UDP Timeouts and better ping

Post by pbix »

These timeouts will have effect at all on your ping times.

When ACC runs by default it calculates your minimum possible ping times which are most effected by your link speed. These are the auto ping time values which you can see in the ACC status section.

Your ping times cannot be meaningfully lower than those values generally.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM