Version 1.2.0, New Stable Branch

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Version 1.2.0, New Stable Branch

Post by Eric »

The 1.1 experimental branch has now matured enough to release a new 1.2 stable branch. Bugfixes will continue to be added to the new stable branch, and a new experimental branch will be created in the near future.

One key improvement in this release is the use of combined .img files to upgrade atheros devices. This is now the preferred way to upgrade atheros devices running Gargoyle, though you will need to use the other files if Gargoyle is not already installed.

New in 1.2.0:
  • Hostnames now displayed in quota status section
  • Allows selection of MAC address for static IP from list of currently connected hosts
  • Enable firmware upgrades on atheros devices with a single file using new OpenWrt combined .img files
  • Fixes connected hosts status section, so it displays correctly
  • Fixes display of bandwidth graphs in Opera 10.50
  • EOC 2610 now reboots properly

New in 1.2.x stable branch from older 1.0.x stable branch:
  • Automatic per-IP bandwidth monitoring
  • Bandwidth distribution plots
  • Allows multiple IPs in one bandwidth quota
  • Allows multiple bandwidth quotas for one IP
  • New QoS implementation.
  • Hostnames are displayed in status sections
  • Many other bugfixes and minor feature enhancements

Maniac

Re: Version 1.2.0, New Stable Branch

Post by Maniac »

Great, thanks Eric! I'll have to try this later.

ngg.online

Post by ngg.online »

Can one use the .img files for atheros devices to upgrade from DD-WRT to Gargoyle. DD-WRT also has img files for download to upgrade from the web interface, and i was wandering if Gargoyle use the same format as DD-WRT.

Maybe Eric can answer this one. Thanks!
La Fonera Fon 2100 @ 200MHz + Gargoyle 1.2.5
D-Link Dir-300 @ 200MHz + Gargoyle 1.2.3
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 + Tomato 1.28

monoufo

Post by monoufo »

I can only upgrade the router on the night of the last day of the month, since I don't want to risk losing quota information. So I won't get to try 1.2 for another week.

I really like the idea of selecting macs from a dropdown box. What does this feature look like? Typing in Mac addresses was a huge pain. How about doing the same thing with IP addresses? Can we have a list of all IPs that are not currently assigned to a MAC? Yea the list would be over 200 entries long, but that is still easier than typing the whole thing.

niikk

Post by niikk »

-:P
Last edited by niikk on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

niikk: Please refrain from name calling. The fact you didn't even suggest a valid IPv4 address makes me think you're trolling.

monufo: First, the information of what IPs are free is, in a way, already available to you on that page. Note the DHCP range is specified there. IPs that are in your subnet and not in that range and not already assigned a static IP (in the table shown on that page) should be free.

However, your point that it might be even easier if there were a way to automatically retrieve an unassigned IP is well taken. But a drop-down with hundreds of IPs is not the way to go. How about a button that, when pressed, generates a random IP in your subnet that is not currently assigned? It makes sense to select the specific host/MAC you want, but it seems like the IP can be arbitrary.

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

Thanks Eric, the bandwidth graphs work great now in Opera 10.51!

monoufo

Post by monoufo »

IPs could be arbitrary, but some people may want them to mean something. I assign certain IPs based on room number. The person who lives in room 1, would get 101 for their wired connection, and 201, for their wireless connection. It is more complicated when they have more than one computer, in that case I assign low number, like 4.

This way, when I look at IPs in quotas, graphs, etc, I know what room it is associated with and there for which person. Every time someone moves out of the house, it has to be updated with the MAC address of the person who takes their place. without this system, i would have to memorize the IPs of 1 to 2 dozen computers, or have to look them up evertime I want to know them.