Western Digital My Net N750 support?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

scarhill

Re: Western Digital My Net N750 support?

Post by scarhill »

Is there any timeframe for N750 support in the main Gargoyle builds? Woot has this router available for $20 today, so it would be a no-brainer for me if I knew Gargoyle would support it.

tapper

Post by tapper »

+1 for me to! I have one of thees and it's a grate router.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

scarhill

Post by scarhill »

tapper wrote:+1 for me to! I have one of thees and it's a grate router.
Tapper, does the GargoylePL build have an English UI?

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi scarhill 
yes it does.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

griftopia

Post by griftopia »

All,

I have come over hear from the OpenWRT forums. WD n750 is supported by OpenWRT but because it has atheros chipset client bridging is not supported. I understand Gargoyle will provide that capability without having to resort to "relayd nightmare", as I would put it.

Can someone kindly link me to the gargoyle firmware to use for my WD N750. I'm getting mighty confused sifting through all the posts on this forum. I did see screenshot with Bridge/Repeater with "Repeater disabled", which I'm assuming implies Client Bridge which is how I want it.

So Tapper refers to 1.6.2 build for MyNet N750. However on download page I cannot locate it. I do see 1.7 experimental build for the same and am fine with it if it works, since I can always "sysupgrade" it to its stable version later.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
ISP Provided Router [Irrelevant]
WD MyNetN750 Client Bridge - Garygoyle @ 5.0Ghz Yes !!!

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The n750 was not supported in 1.6.2

The best build to use is the one i linked to here:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =14&t=6911

Don't worry you cant brick the n750. Thats the best thing about it. The WD Emergency Recovery is your best friend and mine for that matter lol.

How to recover a My Net Router from a failed firmware update
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9618/

If you don't want to download the torrent then hears the file from my dropbox:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/537 ... pgrade.bin

Happy flashing!
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

griftopia

Post by griftopia »

Hi Tapper, I was able to locate the build corresponding to 1.6.2 at below url

http://dl.eko.one.pl/gargoyle-pl/attitu ... nt/ar71xx/

I have flashed the "factory" directly on top of WD Stock. However I'm having issues at 2 levels

First, I cannot get Client Bridge to Work. It does not matter whether I keep Repeater Disabled (which I want) or Enabled. I simply cannot connect to my Access Point SSIDs at either 2.4GHz or 5.0Ghz.

For 5GHz, I cannot select either of the 40Mhz options. It keeps reverting to 20Mhz, which is a side issue.

Bottom line I've done Client Bridge configurations with various firmwares. I do know what I'm doing. Besides it is not that hard. Scan and pick SSID, select the Channel Width (curious about below/above 40MHz instead of just 40MHz or absence of Auto, but...), select WPA2, provide password...that's it. I have given IP of 192.168.1.201 to my client bridge which should not be an issue as it is in the range.

I can't get it to work at all. Can you offer some help? What I can check?

tapper

Post by tapper »

griftopia wrote:Hi Tapper, I was able to locate the build corresponding to 1.6.2 at below url

http://dl.eko.one.pl/gargoyle-pl/attitu ... nt/ar71xx/

I have flashed the "factory" directly on top of WD Stock. However I'm having issues at 2 levels

First, I cannot get Client Bridge to Work. It does not matter whether I keep Repeater Disabled (which I want) or Enabled. I simply cannot connect to my Access Point SSIDs at either 2.4GHz or 5.0Ghz.

For 5GHz, I cannot select either of the 40Mhz options. It keeps reverting to 20Mhz, which is a side issue.

Bottom line I've done Client Bridge configurations with various firmwares. I do know what I'm doing. Besides it is not that hard. Scan and pick SSID, select the Channel Width (curious about below/above 40MHz instead of just 40MHz or absence of Auto, but...), select WPA2, provide password...that's it. I have given IP of 192.168.1.201 to my client bridge which should not be an issue as it is in the range.

I can't get it to work at all. Can you offer some help? What I can check?
Hi that build from Gargoyle-pl worked really well for me but it's quite old it's baste on the aa branch of openwrt. pleas try flashing the file from my dropbox to see if that helps.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

tapper

Post by tapper »

More things to chek the Wireless Channel has to be the same as AP.
SSID has to be the same as AP.
Password and security have to match your AP
The IP of your router has to be in the same subnet. So if your AP is at 192.168.1.1 your bridge should be 192.168.1.2
If that stil will not work then try and set your DNS to google at 8.8.8.8 to see if that helps.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

griftopia

Post by griftopia »

Okay I tried the 1.7 version from your dropbox. No dice.
SSID is good
Password is good
channel on Access point is on Auto. Once again, I CANNOT select 40Mhz ones for the Channel anyway on the Gargoyle. So that is not even the issue at this time. Besides I cannot connect at 2.4GHz either so it can stay at 20Mhz for all I care

The only thing I can think of is Security. On my EA4500 it is at WPA2 Personal. WPA2 PSK is supposed to work on the Gargoyle since PSK means AES or TKIP. In any case there are no settings left to try right now :(

Here's another reason I think it is not me and the firmware. Because I cannot even change the Channel from 36 to say 40. It keeps reverting to 36. So basically it is not "taking" my settings. So I really don't know what is configured and what is not. What if it is not taking my password? No way for me to know.

This is a real bummer. I thought I had a cheap option for 450MBPs but now I'm just stuck. :cry:
Last edited by griftopia on Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.