Very Satisfied with Gargoyle. Have a Couple of Questions.

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

CarpeNoctem

Very Satisfied with Gargoyle. Have a Couple of Questions.

Post by CarpeNoctem »

Hey all.

Just decided to get Gargoyle after fiddling endlessly with DD-WRT's QoS and I gotta say, even with my scarce knowledge of its inner workings, results are more than promising.

At this point, I do have a couple of inquiries regarding QoS rules for optimal gaming sessions.

Background info, I'm running 1.7.1 on my TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1, and I managed to create the following Download rules:

problem is, even though performance on my PS4 is better than ever, all I see is the Normal class being used and not the PS4, which tells me that the PS4 traffic is being handled by the Normal class. How could I fix this?

Also, I enabled Active Congestion Control as follows:

I guess I was wondering what else I could do to provide the most optimized ping times to my PS4. I live outside of the US so I'm aware of my limitations, but I'd love some pointers on configurations geared towards best performance connection-wise in FPS games like CoD.

My second question is more of a wondering. When I installed 1.6.2. the Tor plugin could install without issues. Seems after upgrading, I can't install it anymore. I have been reading some posts that list it as a known bug, and since it's not a deal breaker for me, I'd love any thoughts on this anyways.

Again, thank you for a great router alternative, and hope to be around for a long time.

Cheers.

Lantis

Re: Very Satisfied with Gargoyle. Have a Couple of Questions

Post by Lantis »

you have created a service class, but have you created a rule to bump the traffic into this service class?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

CarpeNoctem

Post by CarpeNoctem »

I actually did, lemme show you the screenshots:

Download:

Upload:

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I fiddled with my Classes a bit, so lemme include the updated screenis for clarification:

Download Classes:

Upload Classes:

ACC:

I'm using fq_codel script instead of the original qos_gargoyle, just as a test.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Either your PS4 is not at the address you think it is or it is not using UDP IMHO.

Examine your connections page, look for the connection you think should be marked and PS4. Further simplify your setup deleting all download rules but the one rule you are trying to get correct. Delete the UDP part of that rule as well. Simplify until it works and then embellish it validating each new rule part with the connection screen.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

tapper

Post by tapper »

fq_codel did not work for me in 1.71
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

CarpeNoctem

Post by CarpeNoctem »

tapper wrote:fq_codel did not work for me in 1.71
Yeah, sadly after the millionth spontaneous reboot, I went back to the old QoS script.