Setting Mess / Partial wipe

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

sbs

Setting Mess / Partial wipe

Post by sbs »

Hi,

I have installed 1.7.0 (stable is not available for my router) and encountered the following issues :

- Setup lan, dhcp, with fixed leases no problem
- Added a restriction rule for a set of MAC addresses
- Enabled download QOS and ACC with default values

All seemed ok. Then today, I tried setting a Download QOS for best ping for LOL. I did not enter all values properly, and had another page viewing the router as well. I also enabled upload QOS with default settings, so after a couple tries setting up the QOS and switching with the connection list to check that the QOS rules are properly detected, They were still not working and upon getting back to the QOS download page, all rules are gone. There is only one rule for VOIP and VOIP is the default rule.

REdid the configuration, but all was not working properly so I decided to reboot (using reboot button from admin screen. After reboot noone add internet access. After checking/disabling QOS still no access.

Went back to the firewall setting and upon checking the firewall restriction, I saw the the rule I have set has been replaced with a block everyone always. Disabling the rule gave internet access back to all.

Bandwith limits for QOS had also gone back to default 300 kbps.

So to recap : QOS setting can mess up oeverall settings of teh router. Messed up settings will mess some more after reboot.

Is there anything I can do to improve this, I need to finalize my settings, but I do not want to redo all of them every other day. Since I am on a not stable version of the firmware, is there a notification system to get notice when the next 1.7 version is released.

Regards,

--
sbs

ispyisail

Re: Setting Mess / Partial wipe

Post by ispyisail »

In my opinion this has been a problem with Gargoyle for some time (maybe forever)

That's why I recommend if a user is having any problems first do a failsafe reset (factory reset)

If you setup your router than don't touch it it seams to be stable

see up-time

http://coricelesti.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5276

Magnets

Post by Magnets »

I made this mistake with qos - having 2 browsers on the window concurrently and modifying values.

I managed to mess around with it and salvage it from backups. Check /etc/qos_gargoyle, mine was truncated so I just restored the missing parts from an old backup.
I can't remember if there was anything else specific as this was a while ago.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I made this mistake with qos - having 2 browsers on the window concurrently and modifying values.
yeah, I have suspected this and a few other thing can upset the config file

That's why I recommend "Failsafe reset" before reporting any bug

sbs

Post by sbs »

Hi,

I did a "failsafe reset" ie system->Backup/Restore->Restore default configuration now. This took like 10' with looping circle stating something like "applying initial configuration file. Since nothing looked like happening, I pinged the device continuously and saw it stopping to respond after a while, then coming back up.

Upon reconnection all the settings were there as before. And since, I have add to reboot twice because the router had shut down all access to the internet.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

sbs wrote:Hi,

I did a "failsafe reset" ie system->Backup/Restore->Restore default configuration now. This took like 10' with looping circle stating something like "applying initial configuration file. Since nothing looked like happening, I pinged the device continuously and saw it stopping to respond after a while, then coming back up.

Upon reconnection all the settings were there as before. And since, I have add to reboot twice because the router had shut down all access to the internet.
try a real "failsafe reset"
google "openwrt failsafe"

sbs

Post by sbs »

Maybe this could be a useful addition to the installation guide or the faq.

sbs

Post by sbs »

Another setting wipe during firewall restriction configuration. The scheduled reboot went away, and all computers on LAN lost access to internet after 2 days of up time.

Any ETA on the next 1.7 update?

sbs

Post by sbs »

ispyisail wrote:
yeah, I have suspected this and a few other thing can upset the config file

That's why I recommend "Failsafe reset" before reporting any bug
I looked into this page :
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe

But unless I am mistaken it is for wiping a bricked install. That's not what I need, since my install works but is unstable and messes the configuration when using the web interface to setup things.

Am I missing something?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I looked into this page :
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe

But unless I am mistaken it is for wiping a bricked install. That's not what I need, since my install works but is unstable and messes the configuration when using the web interface to setup things.

Am I missing something?
based on experience it appears to be the best way to do a factory reset